Spring Swap

Kelly Hancock

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello All. I am needing some more information. I picked up a set of front springs off of a 2004 super duty and was told they were V codes. I am assuming the guy was correct. He also gave me 4 inche blocks for the back. I have read that some have gone this route. My question - If I can find the rear springs ( B codes I believe right?) will I need to replace the blocks or can I go with just he front and rear spring swap and have the couple inches of lift? Thanks in advance.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Our Excursion has the V code/4" block combo but (when) we go to upgrade the stock rear springs to the better arched 3/4 ton ones the blocks will come out as we'll reclaim the rake it first had when it was new on the lot,but I'll keep the blocks just in case;)

There's a couple members that upgraded to VA's,perhaps they'll chime in as well:sweet

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHP...Are you sayin' that you currently have a 4" block with your stock rear springs?

Anyone have specs for the ratings of the V and B code springs?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
spindrift said:
CHP...Are you sayin' that you currently have a 4" block with your stock rear springs?

Anyone have specs for the ratings of the V and B code springs?
Yep! have the F350 blocks also called 4" blocks under the stock springs.:sweet

V codes are 5,200 lbs,B codes 6,830 lbs and A codes 6,084 lbs.

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
Yep! have the F350 blocks also called 4" blocks under the stock springs.:sweet

V codes are 5,200 lbs,B codes 6,830 lbs and A codes 6,084 lbs.

Do you think taller blocks make axle wrap any worse than it already is? Also, any reason why the rear springs from an '05 F250 SD won't work on the Ex. I've got a line on some right now and the guy is trying to figure out what code they are.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
spindrift said:
Do you think taller blocks make axle wrap any worse than it already is?
SOP of the pants wise I didn't notice any difference between the stock blocks and the F350's
Also, any reason why the rear springs from an '05 F250 SD won't work on the Ex.
As far as I know the rear springs should be straight swap if they're A or B codes.
I've got a line on some right now and the guy is trying to figure out what code they are.
Go to this VC decal decoder article and scroll down to "Springs" to see what springs he has on his truck:sweet

1BIGREK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have recently replaced my rear springs with B-codes from an 04, which I chose based on the ratings of the springs vs. other years. They seemed to have better numbers. I had blocks in the rear (5 1/2" tapered) but never really looked at them after the shop installed them. I had a vibration in the driveline and when I looked closer just before installing the springs, I found they were 2 1/2" wide! They were for an F150, stupid shop put me in danger on that one. I bought new tuff country blocks and u-bolts and put them in with the B-codes. All I can say is should have done this sooner. I have about 1 to 1 1/4" higher lift and my vibration is gone. My personal opinion is it rides better and after having stock springs with bigger block and B-codes with a bigger block, I would change the springs first. They absorb the road better and the sagging with a 30' TT is less. I haven't really towed with it yet, just hooked it up to move it around. DO THE SPRINGS FIRST YOU WILL LOVE THIS AND IT IS WORTH MORE THAN THE MONEY I SPENT ON IT!! By the way, check www.car-parts.com for used springs. I got a set off a totalled (hit hard in front right) F250 for $125 and they only had 6k on them. I figured that meant they were already broken in (read some sag already). They blocks are a quicker cheaper fix, but not a solution in my book. The B-codes provide a better ride and lift. By the way, order the 30mm sway bar too as the combo eliminated my front end wander.:thumbs :thumbs :burnit

Munkey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just put the Superlift 3" kit on my X. It raised the front 4 1/2" and had 1 1/2" rear blocks to add to stock blocks and kept stock rear springs which are stiffer then the 350s according to spec sheets. It does sit level but I will add air bags for towing. I paid $550 for it. I'll tell you it rides a hell of alot better then it did stock and better then any 350 spring swap I ever rode in. Soft yet firm if that makes sense. :thumbs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58