Squeak in the front end

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Ball joints are an all day job (almost). YOu need toi rent a ball joint press, a device that looks like a C-clamp with sockets to press in/out the ball joints. This tool should be at most major tool rentals. You have to remove both wheels, hubs, brakes and backing plates. They you need to press out the ball joints that hold the hub assy in. Remove the axles and reverse the preceeding to assemble. THEN you have to rough out the alignment so you can drive it. I set mine to 1/8" toe-in and drove it to the tire shop. They checked mine and said it was good to go without further alignment. You had better have air tools if youy are going to do this. It is NOT necessary, but almost essential.

Dave

rynarnell

03 6.0 8.0lift on 38"s
Reaction score
if its not the ball joints, when the track bar is loosed is will sometimes make a clunk, or pop sound when you turn. check where it bolts up on the cross member.

atk

Reaction score
What was your cost to replace them--parts and labor? Did you do it yourself?

I swapped out the steering stabilizer last night to no avail. Squeek is still there.

yes i did it myself (labour was free, can`t really pay myself...:roflmao ) it took me about 8 hours for both sides but i took my time. it costed me about 275.00 cdn for the 4 ball joints and another 200.00 for the seals that go on the axle shafts( seals are for the vaccum operated hubs system, didn`t budget for that....:doh: )...had to replace the seals because couldn`t remove the axle shafts without damaging the seals.....also replaced the yellow o-ring that goes on the hub/bearing assembly....hope this helps

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
yes i did it myself (labour was free, can`t really pay myself...:roflmao ) it took me about 8 hours for both sides but i took my time. it costed me about 275.00 cdn for the 4 ball joints and another 200.00 for the seals that go on the axle shafts( seals are for the vaccum operated hubs system, didn`t budget for that....:doh: )...had to replace the seals because couldn`t remove the axle shafts without damaging the seals.....also replaced the yellow o-ring that goes on the hub/bearing assembly....hope this helps

Too big a job for me. Took to dealer and all four ball joints are bad. $1375 total. Ouch.

Here's my question, though, dumb as it may be: can ball joints be lubed? I didn't see a grease zerk near them but the service tech said they were all dried up. Makes me think I caused this.

F350CCFX4

Smokin Bye
Reaction score
Too big a job for me. Took to dealer and all four ball joints are bad. $1375 total. Ouch.

Here's my question, though, dumb as it may be: can ball joints be lubed? I didn't see a grease zerk near them but the service tech said they were all dried up. Makes me think I caused this.

All of mine can be lubed on an 04 F350, but I do have a boot that has a hole in it, so I lube that once every 2k miles just too keep the water out of it. (If grease is in there then water can't be IMO).

atk

Reaction score

ball joints can be greased, if you use an aftermarket ball joint like Moog or Trw. if you went to dealership they probaly used the Ford ones which are not usually greaseable. i did an Oasis report on my truck and they already did 3 ball joints on my truck before i pirchased it. the truck only had 53000km on it.
when i did the ball joints, the truck had 75000km on it. all 4 joints were bad, even the ones that were replaced previously. i used the greasable Moog ball joints....

no you didn`t cause this, it happens. when you can`t get fresh grease in there from time to time, they do where out. no diferent then tie rod ends. also you have to remember, there also alot of weight riding on those ball joints.

Teggleston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeing you are saying it happens when you turn the wheel left or right and the truck doesn't have to be in motion, then I would have to belive it needs to be running correct? If so have you thought about the power steering pump or any of those componuntes? The way you are describing the metal to metal squeal thats is one place to look

jobaa

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
on mine it's the leaf springs. you can get a better listen if you use a section of either gas hose or heater hose. put one end at your ear and fish around with the other.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg