stage 1 injector install gone really bad

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
THIS WILL PROBABLY TURN OUT PRETTY LONG, BUT I HAVE A FEELING A FEW OF YOU WILL GET A GOOD KICK OUT OF IT AS ALL MY FRIENDS HAVE. THIS IS THE STORY OF LAST NIGHT DOING AN INJECTOR INSTALL ON 2 TRUCKS. WE HAD TO TAKE MY STAGE 1'S OUT OF MY FRIEND'S OLD TRUCK SO I COULD PUT THEM IN MY TRUCK. ENJOY!!!:sweet

it was 3 am on sunday morning when my buddy and i got finished taking my stage 1's out of his old truck and installing stockers in it so he can sell the truck. with my stage 1's sittin' on the shelf with a set of brand new injector o-rings we were ready to pull my stockers and install the stage 1's and roll some coal.

we pulled the valve covers, no problem. pulled the back 2 injectors and let the cylinders drain, perfection. drained the HPOP reservoir, easy. pulled the rest of the injectors and figured out it's a good thing we pulled them b/c as far as we could tell nothing has ever been touched under these valve covers, the stock injector o-rings were trashed!!! LoL. then we started taking out the glowplugs. got to the 2nd to last glowplug and what happens? the guts of the glowplug comes out, but the rest of the plug stays threaded in!!! after fighting to get this glowplug out for an hour we finally got 'er out and i couldn't help but throw it as far as possible away from the truck.

Now it's starting to drizzle on us and my truck is outside and there is no place for us to get it under cover so we set up a canopy above the hood to keep the rain from getting on the engine. we were about through cleaning the injector cups when what happens now? here comes a big storm!!! thunder, lightning, the winds pick up to the point where i have to hold the canopy in place. Finally the storm really starts bringin' on the bad stuff with extreme downpour and hail. we grabbed some rags and stuffed on the passenger side head and put the valve cover over it hoping to keep water out. then as we start grabbing stuff to put on the drivers side while i'm still holding the canopy, the canopy buckles and takes off flying taking me with it.

After being slung about 15 feet, i start for the shop since cody just stuft the valve cover on the drivers side head, but with nothing under it. he could only partially close the hood and so my glowplugs, injector hold down bolts, and injector spouts went flying to get out of the way of the hood latch. we got the hood to close almost all the way and we ran in the shop since we were getting hammered with hail.

we waited for the storm to settle a little bit before we even thought about stepping foot out the shop door again. so about 6 this morning we walk out and open the hood and gladly we had the turbo inlet covered as well as all the vacuum ports from the lines we took off because there was water everywhere. we took the valve covers off and the underside of them had quite a bit of water on them. we grabbed all the tools and took them in the shop, found my glowplugs and all the stuff we threw trying to shut the hood. and dried all the glowplugs and the valve covers. we sucked out the cylinders and didn't get much fluid out, but i have a feeling the engine got flooded out.

We cleaned the injector cups again and installed the injectors with a slight drizzle still hittin' us. put in the injector hold down bolts in and put in the injector spouts. NOW HERE WE GO AGAIN, here comes more rain. we covered the heads with lots of paper towels, this time we got both of them covered, and put the valve covers over them again. and walked away.

my truck is still sitting there now. we were unable to finish since we were both whipped having no sleep for the past 30 hours. by the time we walked away it was 9 in the morning. cody brought me home in the pouring rain and slight hail so i could at least get 2 hours of sleep before i had to work at 1:30 this afternoon. i'm going to have to drain the oil out of the truck and flood it with a lot of oil, but hopefully the engine comes out fine. after school tomorrow i'm going back over to his house to try to get it running. this was my worst experience ever changing a set of powerstroke injectors. Although it's only the 3rd set i've done, it sucked worse than any wrenching i have done. i hope y'all enjoyed my little story. i couldn't help but share this experience with y'all

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
on weekends we stay up all night on one night of the weekends as a work night. oh yeah, and the shop is definitely not big enough to fit a truck in. LoL

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
yeah, we put a little canopy over it just to keep some rain from gettin' in the engine. that did not work at all. work while it was sprinking but not once the storm hit us. i got the oil changed and the truck runs surprisingly good even with the little edge evolution i'm using. getting 28psi and no signs of running out of fuel what so ever. smoke output is awesome!!! egt's with a stock downpipe on it are 1400* when i'm on it from a stop to about 60mph. can't wait for my 3" dp to get here and a 2 position dp-tuner!!!!

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice Story sounds like one that you'll be sharing for awhile. Keep up the work. You are going to be amazed with that 3"DP. Installed one on a buddies truck and first time he had ever heard the turbo whistle after 9 yrs of owning the truck. Major restriction lifted with the new DP

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
yeah, i'm already amazed at how loud my turbo screams now with the injectors in it. it's a completely different truck now even though i'm still using edge evolution tunes. i can't wait to get some tunes from Jody!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58