Started school

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started a weekend course this pass weekend to get my CDL. 10 hours a day on Sat and Sun for 8 weeks (including this past weekend), not to mention the 45 minute drive to get to school.
I am being medically retired after 16 years in the Army and going to work in our family business. My father, brother and myself are partners in a trucking company that runs light iron and crushed cars in the MA. and RI area.
I have been around trucks my whole life so this is almost a formality but the Army is paying the stiff $4500 cost of the course. I figured I would get the course done now and have no down time once I am retired. I will be able to start work right away.

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you are getting disability? I would make sure your ducks are in a row before your final day. Make a copy of your ENTIRE medical record before they keep them. On your final physical make sure you tell the doc everything you feel has been attributed to the military. Good luck with the CDL.

Last edited:

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck with your CDL. That is the same route I took. Medically retired from the US Coast Guard then went and got my CDL. But make sure you get to the VA in a hurry they are really backed up. Atleast around here they are.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be getting disability from the Army then will have to go through the VA for my VA disability. I was wounded in a IED strike in 2007 in Afghanistan. I have been in one of those new Warrior Transition Battalions since I was MEDEVAC'd. I am finishing my medical board right now and should be done by late spring early summer. I should get a pretty high percentage from the Army. I have copies of every medical document since I started this. I request updates every couple months. (I think it is about a foot thick now)
Unfortunately I have to wait until I get to MA. to finish my VA claim, but I will be able to do the preliminary here. I had that physical and I listed every little thing that ever happened to me! 16 years in the Infantry and jumping from airplanes adds up! Supposedly a Purple Heart combined with the medical retirement is supposed to get you priority in the VA at least for medical stuff.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good for you Kevin sorry about the strike, but I did the same thing. My Medical Record is about the same size. Surgery on both shoulder 4 on my hand one on my knee and just back problems that go on for ever. Problems I had before I went in all of a sudden started hurting from being in the military. That is the only way to not have to worry about it any more. Well good luck with everything sure all will work out for ya.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Purple Heart combined with the medical retirement is supposed to get you priority in the VA at least for medical stuff.

As It Should Be Kevin, As It Should Be.

From just one of the many Vets here on SDD ?..Thank You, for your 16 years of Service and Sacrifice.

Good luck with your CDL ;tu

JOE

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe, Justin and Hawk, thanks for the info and encouragement. Thank you guys as well for your service.
The Army needs to do a better job of teaching us how this stuff works after our service. I have led Infantry troops to 2 combat tours in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan but I was lost with this stuff until I actively got involved in learning the system. I still have a long way to go but at least I am learning. Unfortunately one of my best resources for learning are buddies that were WIA and are medically retired now.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank You, for your 16 years of Service and Sacrifice.

Good luck with your CDL ;tu

JOE

Yes, thank you (and all the other vets in the SDD family) for all your service and sacrifices for this great nation!!!!

Best of luck with the CDL. Hopefully you'll have it soon.
Keep us posted on your progress.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Don't take the easy route with the CDL, get the Haz-mat and Tanker endorsements all in one shot. Those 2 endorsements can make the difference if you should need a driving job at any other place. :sweet

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't take the easy route with the CDL, get the Haz-mat and Tanker endorsements all in one shot. Those 2 endorsements can make the difference if you should need a driving job at any other place. :sweet

I am right on track with you, I already have a tanker endorsment on my permit and I have been studying for Haz-Mat. I have to wait until I have my license and move back to MA. for the Haz-Mat, it is the only endorsement that doesn't transfer. :dunno I also need to get my TWIX card for entrance to the harbors, won't be a problem since I still have a current secret securtity clearance.
I will also get endorsments for doubles and triples even though I will probably never haul them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58