Started school

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kevin- I'm with you on the education. There doesn't seem to be an agency that really helps you on the transition stuff. Fortunately, there were a few retired folks that came back on active duty just to teach here at Rucker that gave me some good advice. Mine was just a normal retirement after 21 years but there was still a ton of stuff I didn't know about. I can imagine how complex yours must be being medically discharged with a disability rating. I would make sure you get the answers you need before you walk out of someones office assuming they are going to look out for you. YOU are the only one who has YOUR best interests at heart. Trust me.....I looked at it this way- once I got to my retirement rank I became a little more, uh, forceful in my ways when it came to getting stuff done for my Company or my crew chiefs. When you know you are retiring or getting out things look a little different to you. Now I don't put up with a rude civilian sitting behind a desk that treats me like crap. I go to their boss without hesitation. What can they do to me? I do get better results for myself and my family. We don't deal much with stuff on post anymore now that the kids are older but once in a while the retards at the hospital think they own you. Don't get me wrong, I'm not rude or anything, I just go to the person who can make the decision or give me the answer I want. I don't have to worry about the Battalion Commander calling down to see what the heck CW3 Oldfield was doing raising heck at the hospital. Point here is get ALL the info and help you need when you need it. Once you are out it's a whole new ballgame.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on what Hawk sez ;tu

And when you get back home... Hook up with your local Veterans Service Rep, those guys are Phenomenal, they know the system, and how to use it.. through their "Net Working" way of git'n it moving, keep'n it moving and Done.. in a shorter amount of time than you, or any of us could ever hope to.

Joe

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I will be getting disability from the Army then will have to go through the VA for my VA disability. I was wounded in a IED strike in 2007 in Afghanistan. I have been in one of those new Warrior Transition Battalions since I was MEDEVAC'd. I am finishing my medical board right now and should be done by late spring early summer. I should get a pretty high percentage from the Army. I have copies of every medical document since I started this. I request updates every couple months. (I think it is about a foot thick now)
Unfortunately I have to wait until I get to MA. to finish my VA claim, but I will be able to do the preliminary here. I had that physical and I listed every little thing that ever happened to me! 16 years in the Infantry and jumping from airplanes adds up! Supposedly a Purple Heart combined with the medical retirement is supposed to get you priority in the VA at least for medical stuff.

over 50% broken is what opens the doors
don't let up on the VA, have friends and co-workers send in letters telling them how your different from before you got blown up,
good luck
its been now over 4 years for me to get em to re-evaluate and countless surgeries
:rant
if the army is covering truck school
file through the VA for vocational rehab, you could be a full time student before you know it

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on what Hawk sez ;tu

And when you get back home... Hook up with your local Veterans Service Rep, those guys are Phenomenal, they know the system, and how to use it.. through their "Net Working" way of git'n it moving, keep'n it moving and Done.. in a shorter amount of time than you, or any of us could ever hope to.

Joe

Lucky for me I come from a small (for Mass.) town. I know the VA rep in town pretty well, my father has know him for years. He is also the retired Fire Chief. I have already linked up with him once or twice while home on leave. He doesn't see a very many OIF / OEF vets (again I am from Mass.) so he is ready to get going on my claim.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lucky for me I come from a small (for Mass.) town. I know the VA rep in town pretty well, my father has know him for years. He is also the retired Fire Chief. I have already linked up with him once or twice while home on leave. He doesn't see a very many OIF / OEF vets (again I am from Mass.) so he is ready to get going on my claim.

;tu Super.

I worked on a claim, independently, for a year & a half... Finally called my area Vet Rep.. out of desperation... 2 weeks later ? Done Deal. 1 month later ? My retirement EFT amount reflected same.

Any Vets out there that haven't hooked up up with their Vet Rep .. Ouda do it.. At least get on their rolls of Vets in your area. Yul be glad you did.... at some point, maybe. :dunno

Joe

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14