Starting problem

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
d00d-you are getting hosed by those guys. $25 is list. my local dealer charged $15 each for them. not bad considering powerstroke shop wants $13/each for them. shop around!

I got them today at International for $19 each. I didnt know there was one in Raleigh. Im glad to find that out!

What do you do if one breaks off?

NJKen

Is a proud new daddy
Reaction score
FWIW my truck has loped for a few seconds when really cold since day one. I bought it brand new. It has always started even down to -30 so I never paid it any attention. This truck has been really good to me. goin on 9 years of trouble free operation:)
Ken

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
You don't want to find out what happens when the tip breaks off.......... That's why we stress changing them early and often to keep from having that problem. ALL glow plugs can break off if they are left in to long, but the motorcraft are rumored to be heavy duty.

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just about to replace my plugs w/ 200K on the clock. Has anyone ever broke one off? Does it give a warning? like when you're about to bust a bolt and you feel it twisting or is it just "snap", oh shat

ckelly99PS

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 99 PSD 7.3 and just had the glow plugs replaced today by a mechanic freind who only charged me $100 for labor. He said they all came out well with no problems and only 1 or 2 had been working prior to removing them. We believe that they were the original OEM plugs that were 12 years old.

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I have 420,000 miles and im not sure if mine are original or not. Should I spray PB Blast and let them soak then try to remove? I have plugged the old girl in every night on a timer because im scared im going to beak one off.

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 420,000 miles and im not sure if mine are original or not. Should I spray PB Blast and let them soak then try to remove? I have plugged the old girl in every night on a timer because im scared im going to beak one off.
Maybe someone will have a better answer for you, but i'm thinking the side of the plug you can see is bathed in oil so that wouldn't do any good. The side that breaks off is on the combustion chamber side so your PB blaster wouldn't reach there.

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
All u can do is go for it, if it seems to get hard to turn, then maybe back off a little and try again. i know some people have left certain ones in that made em nervous, and just changed the others. But then u don't get and even heat job in all cylinders. Basicaly though, if the tip is swelled up, it's only a matter of time till it breaks off anyway. Ur already to late. May as well take em out n have it happen when ur not out in the middle of nowhere.......... JMO

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if it breaks off at my house while Im taking them out then what do I do?

SOunds like you pull the heads at that point. maybe you could fish out the tip through the injector hole? I don't remember how big that hole was though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg