Steering box adjustment

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's assume that the worm gear adjustment on the steering box is completely screwed up. How it got that way...I'll never tell. What's the procedure for proper adjustment, and is there some kind of baseline (i.e. adjusting screw all the way out?) that is used to begin the adjusting procedure?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Tighten the bolt down very carefully so there is no play, but it isn't tight. Then tighten down the locking nut. It is a feel sort of thing.

Dave

CHPMustang

Reaction score
For 2003 SuperDuty/Excursions,pulled from the service manual.

NOTE: Rotate the meshload screw clockwise to increase and counterclockwise to decrease.

Adjust the meshload screw to the correct rotating torque.
Hold the meshload screw and loosen the lock nut.
Adjust the meshload screw.

Verify that the rotating torque is to specification.
Readjust if necessary.
Tighten the lock nut.
Hold the meshload screw.
Tighten the lock nut.

Meshload 0.56-1.02 Nm (5-9 lb-in)
Steering gear preload 0.23-1.13 Nm (2-10 lb-in)
Locknut torque (23 lb-ft)

FastColts

Love My PSD!
Reaction score
spindrift said:
Let's assume that the worm gear adjustment on the steering box is completely screwed up. How it got that way...I'll never tell. What's the procedure for proper adjustment, and is there some kind of baseline (i.e. adjusting screw all the way out?) that is used to begin the adjusting procedure?

Just adjusted mine the same as on other trucks in the past... mark the edge of the screw with a piece of chalk and remember its position before you loosen the lock nut since the screw will rotate counter clockwise with the lock nut when you loosen it. Turn the adjustment screw 1/4 turn clockwise from where it was when you marked it, tighten the lock nut and drive it. Tighten in 1/4 increments as necessary as 1/4 turn can make a big difference. Mine needed a 1/2 turn total to achieve the desired results. If that doesn't take the play out, you may be in the market for a new box. I have read a lot of posts from satisfied customers who bought Red-Head Steering Gears replacements.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14