Help Needed Steering Box Jamb Nut

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You still here Jourdan?

I figured the adjuster bolt got hung up on the jam nut. I dont think he'd totally remove it.

JRJ04

Reaction score
are you relying on feel that he steering is still tight? the REAL way is to use a torque wrench to test preload on the steering at the wheel.

if you took up too much of the play in the steering box, jacking up the front end wont matter.

i think that you need to slow down and take a few deep breaths before continuing doing anything- wrenching or posting.

here is TG's pic of his new steering gear. i marked it up for you.

i think that you mean that you tried backing out the adjuster, but you found that it bound up as you backed it out. what did you go back and tighter a tad? the jam nut of the adjuster.

CORRECT. I went back and tightend the adjuster a tad cause it seemed like it was bound up.

did you loosen the jam nut before you loosened the adjuster? just making sure.

Yes.

did you count how many turns you advanced the stud in? did you turn the stud out more than you turned it in? make sure.

Turned it about 2 turns in, backed off and 1/8, didnt notice any difference, so went and made 2 more turns in. It was too tight, so i backed off, drove it, same prob, backed off more and now here i am.

i would say that you should do the procedure, make sure the jam nut is snug, then drive around the block to get things 'settled in a bit'.

JRJ04

Reaction score
alright im gonna try and take it for a spin.

ill report back in 15 min or so.
thanks!

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would adjusting it in to far adversely affect the preload beyond repair? And would backing it out negate the extra tension he put on it?

JRJ04

Reaction score
alright im gonna try and take it for a spin.

ill report back in 15 min or so.
thanks!

no change. still too tight. could i be tightening the jamb nut too much? i can turn and have the cruise control buttons and 6 and midnight and let go and it will hold there.

JRJ04

Reaction score
maybe an 1/8 or 1/16 of a turn. just basically not really light like i had it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14