Help Needed Steering Box Jamb Nut

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm stumped man. But I'm no expert, I'm just throwing out suggestions trying to help.

What about backing it off what you would consider alot, but don't go nuts with it, turn the wheel a few times in place and see what that does.

Just an idea. If you don't need it first thing in the am I'd do like dp said and just sleep on it. Smarter people then us will see this and respond.

Good luck brother, I wish I knew more.

JRJ04

Reaction score
turning it in place doesnt really do justice it for it unfortunantly. i cant tell
unless im moving.

ive got the adjustment nut as loose as it will let me. it just binds up.

im gonna try and take the steering dampener off...the bracket was bent a while abck and maybe now that ive tightened up the steering box its really showing that i didnt straighten out that bracket enough when i put the dampener back on. could that be it?

i unfortunantly have to drive it tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
here is TG's pic of his new steering gear. i marked it up for you.
10749d1265771076t-steering-box-jamb-nut-steering-box-2.jpg

I dunno, but I think I feel kind of violated!!:lmao:lmao

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HAHAAHA, here's TG, the man himself. Heres your best bet IMO Jourdan. He'll know what to do.

( See what happens when you let pictures slip out on the internet TG? ) Buwhahaha!

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
So i tightend down the allen until snug, backed off, and then reightened the large nut.

Maybe you over tightened it ? :dunno

When I was trying all that, I just went until I started to feel resistance with the fingers and an allen wrench. I then backed off maybe 1/8 turn. It seemed to help a little, but never took all the slop out. Nowhere near the improvement the Red Head gear box did.

JRJ04

Reaction score
well mine is too tight now. no matter how much i back off what i did. did i screw something up?

would you mind pm'ing me more info about the redhead (mainly cost). i need to weigh my options if i screwed up my steering box

JRJ04

Reaction score
Thanks for the info TG.

For everyone else out there...any ideas as to what in the heck I could have done? This is just nuts! Its like it tightened up, and now matter what i do...I cannot loosen it enough to get it to quit binding.

I really hope i didnt toast the steering box...

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
are you talking you can't loosen the jamb nut on the adjusting screw or no matter which way you turn the adjustment screw the box is still too tight over center?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58