Question Steering Gear

RGL38

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you check each tie rod end for play. Any play, you replace it. The ball joints should be checked also. If these things are OK then the next place to look hard at is the steering gear. You might be able to see the play in it. You can adjust some of the play out of the gear, however at the same time the stearing gets harder. Don't be afraid to adjust it if you are determined to fix it. If the steering gets to a point where it has to be helped back to center after a turn I reccomend changing the steering gear.

mspainting

Painting The Town
Reaction score
Thanks For the advice

Ok thanks yeh had the tie rod ends replaced & 1 of the other parts & it still has play. I tried to adjust it but it would'nt adjust out Does A 550 have the same box as a 250, 350, 99.5- ?

RGL38

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Gear box

I don't know about the different gear boxes. I do know their are two different ones for the 2000 F-250.

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
I don't know about the different gear boxes. I do know their are two different ones for the 2000 F-250.

I dont have the parts discription in front of me, but I do recall there is a sline count that differs between the 2, for example one is a 34 spline the other is a 37... or something very close to that.

RGL38

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Gear

I think the difference in the splines are 32 on one and 36 0n the other. This is the number of splines on the out put shaft. The 2000 can have either one. The parts dealer will be able to direct you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigtruk