Still wandering

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I just replaced everything from the steering box down to the ball joints. I still have some play in the steering wheel to the point where I cannot drive the truck straight without constant input. The steering is loose for about the first 2-3 inches of travel with the wheels straight. After that it is very solid.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is the rubber "rag" joint. Borgesson makes a universal joint for the older trucks but nothing for the SD. I have never heard of anyone needing to replace the rubber joint though.

Clyde99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The gear box, coupler or steering shaft would be the next to inspect. With the engine off, turn the steering wheel slightly and check for play from the steering wheel to the gear box, also did you check the pitman arm ?

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
steering column bearings gave me some play right before they puked their guts out completely. the steering shaft is probably the source of some play, coupled with tired rubber joints.

have a friend turn the wheel left to right lightly while you inspect for where the play is, its really the best way to diag. loose steering.

HossCat

dyslexic ol' traf
Reaction score
Worn unit bearings (wheel bearing assembly) can cause some "wander" in the steering as well.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I fixed mine by adjusting the pre-load a few weeks ago. I never thought to check the new box but when I did it was a turn and a half off. Thanks Ken.

lance2004f550

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Did you adjust it yourself? If so, how did you do it? I could not find anybody in San Antonio that will do it so I went out and bought new steering box. I just put 850 miles on new box and still squierrely. A little less when I have load on and takes a little weight off front end. How about a double stabilizer?

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Yes you can adjust it yourself but you can't get carried away. Post #6 has a link. Click on it and take a look at BigJoe's post regarding adjusting the steering box.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg