Storage for the Ex?

obonaventure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
West Deptford, Gloucester County, Southern New Jer
I use the little side compartment in the rear (where the rear Heater/Ac unit is) to keep jumper cables, gloves, etc. I keep other crap, like gloves, an umbrella, etc., under the middle seat in a small plastic box. I also have a toolbox strapped in front of the spare tire. And I also put some little stuff in the flipup lid by the 3rd row seat on the left (Why does'nt the right side have a storage box too?).

I also saw some storage bins that fit inside the rear doors too but they were way too much $$! Plus they look like they'd interfere with anything large that you'd put inside the truck (like a 4x8 sheet of drywall or plywood).

Another (abandoned) idea was to put a battery box under the hood but there is something already there on the opposite side where the battery is.

What is everone doing for storage in the Ex? Any pics?

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
obonaventure said:
What is everone doing for storage in the Ex? Any pics?

I had the same dilemma, so here is what I built:

closed.jpg

I covered it with automotive carpet at Walmart ($8). The drawers and storage bin on the left are sprayed with the same stuff used to seal pick up beds, so they will hold liquid if some is spilled.

lefttray.jpg

The tray on the left side is for extra oil, fluids, and any thing else that needs to stay upright. There is still room to get the spare tire out.

I can open the right drawer with only the right barn door open; it's got all the "emergency" stuff in it.
onedooronedrawer.jpg

bothdrawers.jpg

And it's strong enough that I can stand on it (250 pounds). As for the 4x8 sheet of plywood, you can fold down the rear seat and lay it on top. Works pretty nice.

withstroller.jpg

Hope this helps spark your imagination. :thumbs Total cost was about $80 (the full extension drawer slides were about $40). Oh yeah, it's anchored in back to the floor anchors so it won't tip out with both drawers extended.

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Now thats an organizer Bruce!!!

We need the whole area behind the third row for all our gear now that the kids are into soccer,otherwise the rear AC area has the jumpers and bottlejack.:sweet

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man - cool set up there with the drawers !
my only concern is the big ole lab tries to con me into picking her up as it is to get into the back:) she will probably BITE me if I raised it any more :)

I actually took the spare out for around town (put it back in for trips and towing...) but use a "milk carton" lashed to the spare tire rod for my little things...
Hey Bill...
what level the kids at in Soccer ?!?!?

My daughter had a full ride thru college in Soccer !
Didn't cost Dad a dime :)

CHPMustang

Reaction score
JohnBoyToo said:
Hey Bill...
what level the kids at in Soccer ?!?!?

My daughter had a full ride thru college in Soccer !
Didn't cost Dad a dime :)
The 6yo just started and his bro 4yo starts in the fall.

Shot you a PM:sweet

blacksheep

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
very nice Bruce,..+10 points for having FOUR extra q's of amsoil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58