Straight Pipe Drone

JRJ04

Reaction score
Hey guys, I found someone who was selling a muffler delete pipe earlier this week and had been wanting to straight pipe mine, so i figured what the heck.

I had been wanting to do this becuase the POS exhaust system I put on there was starting to give me issues. The muffler would not stay in place no matter how much i moved the clamps or tightened them. The whole thing just kept rotating and moving and around and I was tired of it. That muffler was bigger in diameter and heavier than your typical mbrp muffler that is smaller in diameter.

So, it sounds AWESOME...when I lay into it, it sounds almost exactly like some 6.0's ive heard with that deep throaty sound. I'd keep it this way, but I've noticed a drone in the cab, and while its not horrible, it is noticeable and id like to make it go away if possible.

What sort of resonators are out there and are any of you running them? What about mufflers? any preferences? I've looked on ebay and thats about as far as ive gotten.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Often... you can cancel out a drone by adding a hanger (or two), use the mounts with the Rubber bushing. (like the OE kind ?)

:dunno

Joe

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
sounds like a decent idea.

Where would i hang them from though? All of my factory locations are used up with the exhaust. Am I not following you?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a decent idea.

Where would i hang them from though? All of my factory locations are used up with the exhaust. Am I not following you?

If you look around on the frame rails.. then look at the hanger mount/bracket design.. yul see where acouple more could be attached... or.. made to attach.. with a little Fab'n ?

Joe

JRJ04

Reaction score
well after driving it more and looking at all hanger locations and tightening them up etc., it makes me think if i wanna get this drone to go away im going to be foreced to put a resonator/muffler on.

Pro's/cons of a resonator vs. muffler? I

'm hesisant to put the resonator on because of having to cut more of my exhaust up front to get it all to fit in there. It just never easy to keep it all straight and aligned when you start cutting it up that much...

Your thoughts?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well after driving it more and looking at all hanger locations and tightening them up etc., it makes me think if i wanna get this drone to go away im going to be foreced to put a resonator/muffler on.

Pro's/cons of a resonator vs. muffler? I

'm hesisant to put the resonator on because of having to cut more of my exhaust up front to get it all to fit in there. It just never easy to keep it all straight and aligned when you start cutting it up that much...

Your thoughts?

:dunno I'm not a fan of resonators. (sound)

A BTM or a Magna-Flow has a good throaty/powerfull sound (IMO)... and little, if any restriction, as far as Flow goes.

You might poke this: Home page and check those out also ?

I have both on mine. (Magna-Flow & Aero) Cuts the turbo "Chuff" out but sounds REAL good to.. but you could run One, Or the other.

:dunno

Joe

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
walker btm is also sold as napa house brand muffler. numbers in my sig links.

bottom line, its still louder than crap in the truck.

FWIW ?

'bout a year ago, got tired of wipe'n a lite soot off the right "Hip" (mudflap caused) so I put on a Turn-Down tip.... Noticed right off.. how more quiet it was, in the cab.. Not that it was noisy At All.. just quiet-er with the db's being directed down & away.. I'm think'n.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58