Strange 2006 6.0 behavior cold

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey gang, it's been forever since I've posted on here... my 06 has been running well and nothing beyond the normal maintenance issues... so that brings me to now.

I have 90k on the truck, automatic, 5w-40 rp synthetic, and an SCT tuner with a canned tune. Truck runs fine. I did replace the HFCM about a year ago, original never quit, but I started seeing really fine brass sparkles in the top fuel filter bowl, so I swapped it out, and that condition went away.

last summer, I was doing some highway driving unloaded, and I was getting the weird P0000 code with the check engine light. Truck runs fine, in fact, I actually got better mileage, like by almost 2 mpg. I attributed it to good fuel in Indiana vs the barrel sludge they sell here in PA, this was October ish. Cleared with the SCT, went away for several months, truck still runs fine.

So here I am at a cement plant in Maryland, and I'm moving control building to control building, and I'm noticing when the truck is cold, the sound of the injection is changing by itself. Having had this truck for 10 years now, I know this isn't normal. It almost sounds like pilot injection is turning on and off. up comes the CEL, and P0000, clear it, it comes back pretty quick, but it will also clear on it's own. If I just touch the gas pedal, the condition stops and the truck sounds fine. it's about 30 degrees outside. It does this for 3 days, once it warms up, doesn't change pitch at all. Last day on site, It's doing this again, except now the idle is starting to romp a bit almost like it's running out of fuel, and the ignition pitch is all over the map. up comes the CEL but this time I'm getting P0004, I clear it again, and once the truck warms up, all is right with the world.

Other things, before this trip, I noticed the pleasant smell of mouse piss in the truck, so I'm praying to God one of the little bastards didn't chew half the wiring harness apart. I have also noticed a secondary whistle to the truck when pulling more than 10 pounds of boost for more than a couple seconds. Not a whine, but a whistle. (I remember the tea pot syndrome and checked for stuff by the radiator cap but it's bone dry with no residue at all, and the level hasn't changed at all). Truck still starts ok, but I did notice it being a little more rough on a cold start, but it still fires to life in a few quick seconds.

I haven't torn the engine bay apart yet looking for mouse houses, but last year I did find a nice ball of firewall fuzz under the turbo.

Thoughts?

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should also include, no white or black smoke that I was able to notice, and I was actively looking for it. I will say if anything, it might smoke just a little bit less.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most importantly, what are you using to pull codes?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how accurate those are.
I would try something more ford diesel specific.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

troutwest66

6.0- The Dark Side!
Reaction score
My injectors needed replacing at 155K when I had a rough start and idle until fully warmed up. They scanned the injectors and they showed five out of eight going south. Wonder if the brass in the upper fuel bowl made its way to some injectors?? Mine showed evidence of water in fuel on the injectors. Not from me. Previous owner.

tswa54

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey gang, it's been forever since I've posted on here... my 06 has been running well and nothing beyond the normal maintenance issues... so that brings me to now.

I have 90k on the truck, automatic, 5w-40 rp synthetic, and an SCT tuner with a canned tune. Truck runs fine. I did replace the HFCM about a year ago, original never quit, but I started seeing really fine brass sparkles in the top fuel filter bowl, so I swapped it out, and that condition went away.

last summer, I was doing some highway driving unloaded, and I was getting the weird P0000 code with the check engine light. Truck runs fine, in fact, I actually got better mileage, like by almost 2 mpg. I attributed it to good fuel in Indiana vs the barrel sludge they sell here in PA, this was October ish. Cleared with the SCT, went away for several months, truck still runs fine.

So here I am at a cement plant in Maryland, and I'm moving control building to control building, and I'm noticing when the truck is cold, the sound of the injection is changing by itself. Having had this truck for 10 years now, I know this isn't normal. It almost sounds like pilot injection is turning on and off. up comes the CEL, and P0000, clear it, it comes back pretty quick, but it will also clear on it's own. If I just touch the gas pedal, the condition stops and the truck sounds fine. it's about 30 degrees outside. It does this for 3 days, once it warms up, doesn't change pitch at all. Last day on site, It's doing this again, except now the idle is starting to romp a bit almost like it's running out of fuel, and the ignition pitch is all over the map. up comes the CEL but this time I'm getting P0004, I clear it again, and once the truck warms up, all is right with the world.

Other things, before this trip, I noticed the pleasant smell of mouse piss in the truck, so I'm praying to God one of the little bastards didn't chew half the wiring harness apart. I have also noticed a secondary whistle to the truck when pulling more than 10 pounds of boost for more than a couple seconds. Not a whine, but a whistle. (I remember the tea pot syndrome and checked for stuff by the radiator cap but it's bone dry with no residue at all, and the level hasn't changed at all). Truck still starts ok, but I did notice it being a little more rough on a cold start, but it still fires to life in a few quick seconds.

I haven't torn the engine bay apart yet looking for mouse houses, but last year I did find a nice ball of firewall fuzz under the turbo.

Thoughts?
My whistle was the fan clutch, I've got 240k on mine.

hofftemp

42 FORD GPW
Reaction score
MY 05 King Ranch FX4 offroad has 407000 miles, I added REVX oil additive at 200,000 and stopped all my injector problems. It had been sounding like pistons were swapping holes when cold start, now even at 20 degrees it starts right up and runs smooth. I also have used Ford Diesel oil since adding REVX, it can be bought at Amazon. I add it at ever other oil change, it high, but a lot cheaper than injectors. Just my two cents worth.
Earl

OBS97

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
MY 05 King Ranch FX4 offroad has 407000 miles, I added REVX oil additive at 200,000 and stopped all my injector problems. It had been sounding like pistons were swapping holes when cold start, now even at 20 degrees it starts right up and runs smooth. I also have used Ford Diesel oil since adding REVX, it can be bought at Amazon. I add it at ever other oil change, it high, but a lot cheaper than injectors. Just my two cents worth.
Earl

I was going to say, definitely sounds like a notorious 6.0 stiction issue. I'd start in the diesel additive category on both the oil and fuel side: https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/automotive/15718841/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_auto_1_5_last

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58