Strange engine problem with a 7.3 in an E450

Car_nut57

Reaction score
A bad load of fuel can cause low fuel pressures due to debris catching in the fuel pressure regulator. This happend to me some time ago and caused some problems with low power, smoke etc. Take a look here http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/ford_fuel
I installed a pre pump filter and gauge in the cab so I could keep an eye on it. Sounds like your problem is much worse than mine and may require dropping the tank if you are getting a lot of crud in the fuel filter housing.

Problem could also be related to the pickup in the tank becoming plugged and the pump drawing around the connections of the mixing chamber or connections to the pick up tubing. Here is some info about the pickup which may be different than yours, but similar. http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/tank_mod

ahp691

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
yes Powerboatr It did get louder when the event happened, I didn't know there was a resviour. Its going in for regular maintenance next week. I will have all filters changed, (Fuel was changed but do it again) Lube and oil, and check that resivior.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
the hpop resivior gets refilled every engine run and while its running from teh low pressure oil pump. however it doesnt get purged from top to bottom. so it collects a ton of dirty oil and sludge in the bottom. when it reaches teh hpop intake port then it causes issues
and a work truck driven by employess is well... like driving a rental. full throttle runs, before its warmed up, hot shut downs, long idling. stop go stop go etc.
it takes a toll on the oil

ahp691

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Update

Well The truck did it again today. this time, The fuel is Full, the oil level is within the proper range. the outside air temp was in the 20s. the help had the truck, it started losing power, they got into a parking lot where it stalled. they waited 5 minutes and it restarted and ran about 3 minutes then lost power and died. they did this 3 times. I dropped everything and came out. the truck sat for about 10 minutes since running last. we transfered the material to the other truck And I took the ford. I jumped in and it started right up, I drove it to the highway, got on and proceded to the garage. I cranked it right up to 85mph and held it there as traffic permitted and got off the highway. Didn't seem to happen again. the garage put their test equiptment on it and could not find any codes or anything wrong. Now back in Nov after thanksgiving, I moved the truck around the lot and the overdrive light was flashing. they didn't get a code on that either. This thing is driving me nuts. They are going to check the wiring harness for the fuel injectors next.

ahp691

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yet another update. did it again today, now it wont run at all, had it towed to the garage, it started at the shop but was running real rough. When I left they had there hand held computer pluged in to it and they were looking real confused.

BBBxcursion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really wish I was closer to you, these are the problems i LOVE! What are they watching on the computer? What kinda scanner?

2000SuperStroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
sounds familiar

My 2000 acted similar to what you are describing. I was coming home when it was in the 20's OAT and started to climb a hill. The check engine light came on and sounded like it was running on 4 cylinders. I got it in the shop thinking it was serious, borrowed a scanner and found nothing that was causing this. I then found out that it wasn't getting any fuel to the engine. So ducked under the left hand frame and spotted that little lift pump. Took off the low pressure line and put some pressue in the tank and got fuel. Hooked the line up and unhooked the high pressure side, turned on the key and no fuel. A $171 O'Reilly's special latter it runs just fine.:thumbs I don't know if your problem is the same or not, but it is worth checking.

2000 F250 Ext. Cab with afe Stage 1, Flowmaster 4in straight pipe, my own CCV mod

ahp691

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok I think It MAY be fixed. The Garage changed the Oil pressure regulator that is for the high pressure oil pump on top of the engine. we have driven the truck about 200 miles so far, only time will tell if it is fixed

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Has anybody checked your fuel pump? Don't know where it is on the chassis van, but on the trucks, it is under the driver on the frame rail. If that thing is intermittently fritzing out, it could be the problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg