stripped spline?

wade145

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well I took the drive shaft out and replaced the carrier. The splines were dry but no sine of slipping. still a vibration when torque converter is locked in a high gear. still grinds randomly could this be the converter? the trans shifts fine no slip there. Are there any sensors I could pull out and clean?

wade145

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Does any one know if a SL D60-35 spartan locker will work in my 10.5 rear end with open carrier? If so any input on durability any performance of these.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
well I took the drive shaft out and replaced the carrier. The splines were dry but no sine of slipping. still a vibration when torque converter is locked in a high gear. still grinds randomly could this be the converter? the trans shifts fine no slip there. Are there any sensors I could pull out and clean?

I'm gonna take a stab and say it's got a vibration or skip in it when it's slightly lugged right under 2,000 rpm just under 70mph and doesn't seem so bad at higher rpms or road speed?

If so, have it scanned for codes.. five bucks says it's got a #8 injector fault of some type. Don't sweat it too much, my truck has had the same vibration for over 100,000 miles. Eventually I'll get around to replacing the injectors (right after I win the Powerball).

Slipping torque converter clutches produce a lower amplitude, higher frequency vibration that more closely matches engine speed.
Might also be accompanied noise similar to a gremlin trying to hammer his way out of the converter at idle in a neutral gear. This is when it's broken apart internally.

any of this sound familiar?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
and no clue about your locker, other than Dana parts fit Dana's and Sterling parts fit Sterlings.

wade145

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I further inspected the drive shaft to find a weight missing and the joint is going to be replaced. the rear end has a bad carrier bearing and a chunk out of the pinion gear maybe more. I'm going to get the rear end and shaft fixed and see were I land then. Also I'm going with a new carrier and ring and pinion of course. As far as injectors I wish I had an excuse and the money to go with swamps hybrids and custom tune. Thanks for your input I will keep everyone posted on this. 136000 miles by the way

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58