Strobe lite guys. . .

Deviant Diesel

Sooting 1 jerk @ a time!
Reaction score
Where did you guys get your kits or did you make your own? Any links would be appreciated as well.

Reaction score

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is very similar to the one that is linked above. I forget the name brand now, but my wife bought it at the truck accesory shop that she works for. Signal Stat or Signal Light...one of the other I think.

It is a 6 outlet power pack, but it only came with 4 strobe tubes. I got the 6 outlet supply over the 4 because I plan on getting a pair of grill lights some time...room to grow.

I'm not sure about location of the tubes...it might very well depend on the state, but I have mine in the red part of the taillight lenses, as does every other firefighter with strobes on our department. At least for Indiana, you can not have red facing forward...the only exception to that is the fire cheif can run a red only bar...but no blue. Regular vol. firefighters get blue.

As long as the red is to the rear, I would think that it is really no different than having you hazard lights on...again, not sure about your laws in TX though.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
most states you cant have red,blue or clear strobes.there are reserved for emergency services.go for the WHELEN strobes if at all possible.they have an excelent warranty and repair service.you can get them through AW Direct Towing Recovery Service Vehicle and Wrecker Accessories - 1-800-243-3194 .

ive got a 6 head whelen box in my 94 superduty alond with a whelen bar with 6 heads and room for 2 more when i decide to get them.i have 2 heads in the tail light boxes in the rear.two heads in the marker lights under the headlights and 2 heads in my grill.in the bar i have 4 heads in the front and 2 in the rear.it can be so dark that its black out at night and i can light up a mall parking lot when i turn them all on.:thumbs

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I just did a quick and dirty search of the Texas Transportation Code - you probably need to look more thoroughly but here is what jumped out at me initially:

§ 547.305. Restrictions on Use of Lights

(a) A motor vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp, spotlamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp, or emergency vehicle or school bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower shall be directed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.

(b) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle, with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.

(c) A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless the equipment is:

(1) used as specifically authorized by this chapter; or

(2) a running lamp, headlamp, taillamp, backup lamp, or turn signal lamp that is used as authorized by law.

(d) A vehicle may be equipped with alternately flashing lighting equipment described by Section 547.701 or 547.702 only if the vehicle is:

(1) a school bus;

(2) an authorized emergency vehicle;

(3) a church bus that has the words "church bus" printed on the front and rear of the bus so as to be clearly discernable to other vehicle operators;

(4) a tow truck while under the direction of a law enforcement officer at the scene of an accident or while hooking up to a disabled vehicle on a roadway; or

(5) a tow truck with a mounted light bar which has turn signals and stop lamps in addition to those required by Sections 547.322, 547.323, and 547.324, Transportation Code.

(e) A person may not operate highway maintenance or service equipment, including snow-removal equipment, that is not equipped with lamps or that does not display lighted lamps as required by the standards and specifications adopted by the Texas Department of Transportation.

(f) In this section "tow truck" means a motor vehicle or mechanical device that is adapted or used to tow, winch, or move a disabled vehicle.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
Minnesota law is like everyone else. Red/Blue is emergency. I got my 6head installed at a local plow shop. 300p/300l

My truck was the first they did w/ white rears. They said not enough room for the strobe lite. They tried and it fit w/ room to spare. So they now do white in the rear in all vehicles. They told me in 2003 that they checked w/ DOT and the answer was as long as it came from the factory w/ red rear taillite covers that is was 'legal' to put red out back. Meaning no aftermarket tail lite could use red in the back. That is how i took it anyway.

As you are in the south this may not help you but here it is anyway.
Stonebrooke Equip. 1-612-861-5047 ask for Loren

Good Luck

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
The law state no red from front unless a "police vehicle". That has been commonly interpretted though to means any authorized emergency vehicle. Look at all the Big Red Trucks and Ambulances running red lights facing forward in Texas.Check my avatar and you'll see a BRT with red lights forward.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
The law state no red from front unless a "police vehicle". That has been commonly interpretted though to means any authorized emergency vehicle. Look at all the Big Red Trucks and Ambulances running red lights facing forward in Texas.Check my avatar and you'll see a BRT with red lights forward.

here we cant have red in the front or rear.although i have had red in the rear before and never got hassled over it.there a nasty accident that killed 2 tow truck drivers a few years ago and since then we have been trying to get the state to allow us to have 1 red or blue strobe faceing the rear to help prevent accident like that from happening again.they still wont allow us to do it.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14