Stuck Turbo

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
Well I am in the third week of my ownership of the truck and the truck is going in next Monday to have the turbo removed and cleaned. I have had the truck in a number of times to have them look at this and they are finally going to clean it. I am also wondering if there is something that I am doing that is causing this? I have the truck plugged in and the block heater running for three hours in the morning and then I start the truck and let it run for about 10-15 minutes while I finish getting ready for work. I am wondering if I am letting the truck idle to much or if this is just one those quirks that I have to live with on the truck.:dunno

Fine69

Reaction score
Idling will cause the variable vanes to coke up, then stick. Also, sitting too long will do the same thing.

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
The truck doesnt sit that much and it is driven every day. The only time I let the truck idle for any amount of time is when it is cold from sitting at work and when I first start it in the morning. The truck has 126K on it so I shouldnt be to suprised because I dont know how the previous owner drove the truck or if he let it idle for long periods of time but the hour meter tells me that he didnt because the truck only has 2600 hours on it. I dont the dealer is going to take care of this for me so it could be worse.

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
I don't know about this whole extended idling screws up turbos idea... I've idled mine (albeit on high idle 1200RPM) for up to 4 days at a time. To be fair, most of the time I've idled it for 14 straight hours for weeks on end, and never had turbo problems.

:shrug:

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
I don't know about this whole extended idling screws up turbos idea... I've idled mine (albeit on high idle 1200RPM) for up to 4 days at a time. To be fair, most of the time I've idled it for 14 straight hours for weeks on end, and never had turbo problems.

:shrug:

x2... both of my trucks I have let idle for extended periods of time.... i do make sure to open the truck up a few times a week at least.... just to blow out the junk...

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
Just a quick update. I talked to the service manager and the turbo was pretty clean but the ring that makes all the vanes move in time is worn and is causing the vanes to stick. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of this? The dealer is going to take care of this so I am not worried.:sweet

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
Ok now I am begining to get a little ticked at the dealer now. They replaced the unisen ring in the turbo and it ran great for a day. Then when I would try and pass some one or have to get on it hard the engine would strain to get above 2100 RPM and wouldnt rev any farther and there was no power at anything past 1/2 throttle. What would cause this problem I am still learning about these engines and I am a little lost about what would cause this.

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
After only one day it would have to be a real coincidence if it wasn't turbo related. Maybe just a boost leak. Bad/loose boot connection when they put back together? Here's a cool link showing what they did inside your turbo, Diesel Technician Society

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
They checked all the boots yesterday after I dropped the truck off and used the computer to check the turbo. I am wondering if this isnt a fuel problem now. Thanks for the link if I ever have to clean he turbo I might just do it my self.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg