surge/flutter on an obs turbo

Darth_Stroker

Dark Lord of the Sith
Reaction score
It started with the performance upgrades as the boost numbers rose I started to get alot of flutter in my gauge and an audible fluttering from the engine compartment. Put a pressure snubber in the gauge line so I could get a reading without the gauge bouncing all over the place but I don't know what to do to fix the flutter. I thought only the SD guys had surge problems. I didn't even know the sound was out of the ordinary until tony and rusty rode with me at the NTXPSA rally.
any help will be appreciated.

Alan

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I think there has been considerable discussions about this topic and the fact that #6 & #8 fire one after the other in the firing order and add to that they are the furtherst from the HPOP. I dont know if anybody has gotten to the bottom of this though.

Rich???? What say you?

Darth_Stroker

Dark Lord of the Sith
Reaction score
The thing that gets me is tony was ridin with me so we could figure out what adjustments we wanted to make to my chip and he said he had never heard an obs flutter like that. I figure he's ridden in his share of souped up trucks.:dunno

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
any way to get a vid or sound clip of it?or describe the sound better?is it more of a whoosh sound or like a bird tweeting?

sound like the beginning or the end of this vid? http://media.putfile.com/dually-burnout84 ,yes thats my truck :burnit :D

my gauge flutters like no tomorrow after about 18PSI all the way up to 30.but while takeing parts off my old motor for the new motor i found a few exhaust least,mainly my up pipe donuts were loose.i just replaced them last fall.but on the new motor all the exhaust connections were tightend with a 1/2" drive impact gun,so there shouldnt be any leaks.ill let you know what happens whe i get it running hopefully this week

Darth_Stroker

Dark Lord of the Sith
Reaction score
I don't know how to describe it. It's kinda like when you stick out you tongue and blow to give some one a strawberry but lower pitched like with loose lips. Then the big whoosh when the tranny shifts gears and as the boost builds again the flutter starts. and when I say my gauge was bouncin I mean up and down like 15-20psi. It was impossible to get a reading until I put in the pressure snubber.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
by the description
and when I say my gauge was bouncin I mean up and down like 15-20psi.
it sounds like you got a boost or exhaust leak somewhere.check all turbo connections including the sealant on the intakes,the red O roing for the Y pipe,check the up pipes for soot around them,when was the last time the up pipe donut gaskets were replaced?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg