Switched to Synthetic

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
***update***

Well I have slightly over 1,000 miles on the synthetic and I have noticed that my mpg's have increased by .2-.3 and the engine noise still seems to be less than with the regular Rotella.

So far, I am very pleased with synthetic.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That is about what I saw when I switched. It gets better in the very cold weather of the Rockies.

Dave

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
So those of you who have been running synthetic ..long term, what is your oil change interval?..... with the Dyno I have been doing a 5K change cycle... I would hope to see a 7.5 to 10K cycle to help justify the expense. For me 5 K is about every month and a half.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am running oil changes every 5,000 miles. I have a 6.0 which is very hard on the oil's viscosity. You should do an Oil Analysis (Blackstone labs) to see how your oil is holding up before you decide to extend the change interval. You can take a sample at 4500 miles and send it in and get your results in a few days. Blackstone Laboratories

Dave

MJ Synthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So those of you who have been running synthetic ..long term, what is your oil change interval?..... with the Dyno I have been doing a 5K change cycle... I would hope to see a 7.5 to 10K cycle to help justify the expense. For me 5 K is about every month and a half.

There is only one way to take the guess work out of extended oil changes on any vehicle. DaveBen said it Used Oil Analysis (UOA). The 6.0L PSD is a unique case due to high shearing.

When I have a person who is like I was as far as extended oil change intervals (OCI) I tell them to take the guess work and fear out of it. How do you do that? Using UOA every 3-5k miles until the lab says change the oil or you just can't stand it and have to change the oil. This will take all the guess work out and give you true facts on the oil (no matter what brand) and the ability of the oil to protect at any given mileage. Anything else you hear on these boards or from friends is pure hearsay and can not be substantiated by anything but UOA.

nuger

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
19 Bucks the last time i looked, couple of months back! cos thats what i use, change it once a year cos i am British & think this 3000 mile oil change is a load of BS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14