Switched to Synthetic

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed oil yesterday and decided to go with Rotella Synthetic. This is my first experience with synthetic oil and so far I'm pretty impressed.

The major difference I noticed was how much it reduced the overall noise of the engine. Seems much quieter at idle than with regular dino oil.

I only have about 100 miles on it so far but I'm interested to see if there are any changes mpg wise.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I switched a few years ago and I did notice that the fuel mileage went up, but only a little bit. Maybe .5 mpg to .8 mpg. BUT I, too, like the quieter engine.

Dave :)

mx730md

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
is it a myth that switching to synthetic causes leaks my warrenty just ran out on my 04 it has 73000 miles it only has one damp spot on the back side of the motor. i dont want to switch has have to get oil leaks fixed. i just hate how it cranks and everything i read about synthetic says it starts up in about half the time.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
is it a myth that switching to synthetic causes leaks
This would be a good question for Dane from MJSynthetics to answer, he is our local Amsoil guru. Hopefully he will pop in here and speak a little on this subject.

mx730md

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i think i saw it was a myth but im not sure. but main rotella synthetic cost way to much i think it up to like $30 a gallon it use to be $20 a gallon about a year ago

Last edited:

MJ Synthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it a myth that switching to synthetic causes leaks my warrenty just ran out on my 04 it has 73000 miles it only has one damp spot on the back side of the motor. i dont want to switch has have to get oil leaks fixed. i just hate how it cranks and everything i read about synthetic says it starts up in about half the time.

Its a myth that switching to Synthetic will cause leaks. Here is why & how the myth got started.

In high mileage motors using dino oil that were not maintained to optimum standards. When that happens with dino
oil builds sludge and that sludge would plug up a flaw in a seal or gasket. These leaks are exsiting issues with the engine but masked by lack of proper maintenance in most cases.

Synthetic oil has a high content of detergents which is a cleaner of your engine. Synthetic oil will clean up the sludge in the engine and expose the exsiting issues with that engine.

If your engine has been maintained regularly with dino and has no leaks you will not experience leaks with a switch to synthetic from dino, even on a higher mileage engine.

While we are on the subject of myths here is another I would like dispell. Once you change to synthetic you can't go back.
That is totally false you can go back and forth as much as you want synthetics are compatible with dino oils. Most people don't go back but I want to tell you that you can change back and forth at your leisure.

I hope this helps a little with those two myths.

Dane

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some engines will develope leaks ,others won't switching to synthetics.

I am a past Amsoil dealer and have seen this happen with customers' engine switching to synthetics - however as mentioned above, not in all cases.

My opinion - try the switch - if no leaks, then good for you.

Butch Cassidy

dogtrk

Pat
Reaction score
I switched to Amsoil synthetics when I first got my truck. I was told by several mechanics I'd be sorry because syn oil leaks badly. I'm here to tell you that I have not had any leaks whatsoever--amsoil in the crankcase, tranny and engine. Truck runs quieter and smoother for sure and it lasts longers. Just my humble opinion. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58