sythn. oils

metzer.hr

METZ44
Reaction score
I am switching to synthetic oil in my f350 sd. I just put in mobil 0w40 and I am placing an order in on Amsoil tonight. The only oil I could find was the 0w40 and I have read some of u guys have used 0w40. My plan is to use Amsoil 5w40 when the order comes in.My 6.0 is hard to start when the temp drops, I plug my truck in on the colder nights. Will I be ok with 0w40 for 1k miles until I make the switch to Amsoil 5w40.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
im in CT, usually slightly colder than PA, and i have no trouble with 15w40 on the coldest winter days. you can tell its not happy at its coldest when the heui pump is whining, but even then it starts and runs.
you said its getting hard to start, and you have it plugged in....is it possible that there may be a temp sensor or something to that nature that has failed? im not a 6.0 guru....so i will let the others get more involved. :dunno

mwberg

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am switching to synthetic oil in my f350 sd. I just put in mobil 0w40 and I am placing an order in on Amsoil tonight. The only oil I could find was the 0w40 and I have read some of u guys have used 0w40. My plan is to use Amsoil 5w40 when the order comes in.My 6.0 is hard to start when the temp drops, I plug my truck in on the colder nights. Will I be ok with 0w40 for 1k miles until I make the switch to Amsoil 5w40.

I would order HotShots Secret Additive. It fixes the cold starting problems if it is a stiction problem (6.0's have a stiction problem especially when cold). Lubrication Specialties Inc. (Chris) is a sponsor on this form and they developed the additive. I know because the dealer wanted to change 4 of my injectors :rant (out of warranty) and HSS fixed the problem for me. :)

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15-w-40 year round. I winter camp in N.H. - temps run -15 / -22 below zero. I cycle the g.p. 2x, the PSD fires right up.

I tried the synthetics in the engine - can't justify the price.

Butch Cassidy

big bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score

why waste the money on the extra oil,:dunno just leave the 15w-40 oil in for another 1,000 miles and put that money back in ur pocket.:sly: u won't lose anything by doing this.:sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14