Tailgate Trim

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I have a small ding in the aluminum cover trim on my tailgate that drives me nuts. Anyone know where the best place to get one is? What kind of price do they have? I was bidding on a new one on ebay a few weeks ago but it got up to around $200 and the shipping to Alaska was another $90 so I figured I better stop bidding until I found out just how much they were.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Crumm said:
I have a small ding in the aluminum cover trim on my tailgate that drives me nuts.

Vanity with regards to our trucks will get you everywhere. My aluminum tailgate cover piece is trashed...and I sleep at night. :D

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
You shouldn't have the aluminum cover on your 97'? I thought they had the solid tailgate.

Mine has one small ding and I haven't been able to sleep at night since I found it a couple of years ago. If it was trashed I would not be able to sleep in the day like I do now..

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I looked for one for my ranger same alum trim idea the stealership could order me one which ran right around 400-500 IIRC. When a moron ran into the back of my truck and bent the tailgate they managed to find an unscathed one in a junk yard. So that'd be my suggestion for a place to look.

BTW you might be able to gently massage it back out w/ hammer & dolly just cover the dolly w/ a piece of cloth. If you take it off you'll find where it attaches to the tailgate there are some rubber bushings that you can't buy from ford they only sell the whole kit w/ alum panel & everything. I cheated & used some silicon caulk and it worked great w/ no rattles.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Crumm said:
You shouldn't have the aluminum cover on your 97'? I thought they had the solid tailgate.

Crumm, My '97's tailgate has diamond plate aluminum on the inside and it wraps over the top about 1". Why shouldn't I have it? :dunno I didn't buy the truck new and it must have been an option.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hheynow, he's talking about trim on the outside of the tailgate. it's a decorative alum piece I'm too lazy to search for a picture.

But your diamond plate was something the previous owner put on the truck it's not factory.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
hheynow said:
Crumm, My '97's tailgate has diamond plate aluminum on the inside and it wraps over the top about 1". Why shouldn't I have it? :dunno I didn't buy the truck new and it must have been an option.
That is aftermarket not an option.

I will try the hammer and dolly idea. The ding is very small so it might work.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I just found them at powerstrokeshop.com and it looks as though they run $237.05. I tried there the other day but couldn't find them but now there they are..

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Mounting tailgate finish panel.

Now that I have it on the way just how do I remove the old one and install the new one? I seem to remember something about the rubber bushings that BJS mentioned but I have never had one apart. I hope all the mounting hardware comes with it.. :drive

Ggg

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If you had ordered from any other dealer I would doubt the hardware comes with. But knowing Dale he is the most likely to include it. You will need to remove the inside panel of the t-gate to get to the screws/bolts. Do not just pull the old trim panel off it is a sure way to break the plastic mounting pieces.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58