Tailgate Trim

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Ggg said:
You will need to remove the inside panel of the t-gate to get to the screws/bolts.
What does that entail? The inside of my tailgate has been covered up with an aftermarket aluminum cover since right after it was new so I don't even remember what is under it. Just some screws or something?

But knowing Dale he is the most likely to include it.
He called a couple of days ago when he was in shock about the Alaska shipping prices but I forgot to ask him if the required hardware was included..

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I looked @ them it was sold all in one kit, I found this out since I was actually looking for the rubber bushings.

The only pieces that you might have to reuse are the screws and that's not really a problem

Pull your alum cover off of the tailgate and then it becomes rather self explanatory you don't have to loosen the screws holding the release handle down. There will be like 8 or 10 screws holding it down and some models had some screws from the outside too. The screws from the inside are usually t-15 torx

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Well just for information purposes the tailgate trim came complete with screws, nuts and the rubber bushings.

What I am wondering about is the difference in this one and the one on my truck. The one on my truck has large FORD letter on the right side of the black center strip and this new one has no large FORD letters but instead has a blue oval on the left side. It is no biggie and I actually like the new one better just for a change but why the difference? I thought they went to no tailgate trim in 97' and mine is a 96' so is this an earlier model trim piece or what? Maybe some of the 97's did come with trim? The blue oval looks to be the same as the one on the 97' untrimmed tailgate.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
BJS said:
There will be like 8 or 10 screws holding it down and some models had some screws from the outside too. The screws from the inside are usually t-15 torx
Just six screws and four nuts is all it takes. Took all of ten minutes including cleaning the tailgate after removing the old one. Seemed to be a quite a bit of dirt behind the panel. The new one with the blue oval really sets off the back of the truck :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58