TECH: Rear sway bar (install)...worth it's weight in gold!!

KevinsOffroad

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I installed an Addco rear sway bar into my 2wd X a couple of weeks ago and have noticed a DRASTIC improvement in driveability.

o FAR less lean around corners (obviously)
o Less understeer around corners
o FAR less left/right neck-snapping forces when hitting a speedbump or pothole with only one side of the rig
o A more stable feeling when pulling a trailer around corners.

Anyway, for those who DO NOT have a sway bar in the rear, I HIGHLY recommend you get set up with one. Addco makes a little thinner one than Hellwig does, which I desired since I don't have as high a center of gravity as the 4wd models do. Since we sell Addco for the Jeeps on the website, I was also able to save a few bucks on my buy-price. I'm happy with my choice, but it didn't come with endlinks, nor a hardware kit to even MOUNT an endlink to the body. I used a set of stock front WJ endlinks ('99-'04 Grand Cherokee) that we had laying around the shop, and they were a PERFECT fit with the Addco bar, both in length AND in offset. If you wanted a pair, you can probably find some for free or close by posting on www.JeepsUnlimited.com or www.NAGCA.com. Anyway, a pilot hole into the frame and then a 12mm bit allowed me to mount the endlinks onto the outside of the frame rail.

This is a VERY good use of under $200. I think it's the best bang-for-your-buck modification I've made to this rig so far!!!

Enjoy the increased handling!
Very Sincerely,
Kevin

SUPERDUTYSPV

Ford Fan
Reaction score
Yeah, my last SD did NOT have a sway bar in it, and my 04 does, and I CAN tell a difference too.

Wawuzat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score

bonfire

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Kevin

I remember you from my ZJ jeep days at the JU forums. good to see your still around. Thats the place where I learned about death wobble :eek: . The most fear inspiring thing I believe I've ever encountered in a vehicle. Anyway glad to have you at SDD :thumbs

Bill

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I agree the rear sway bar is a must have for the Excursions as it was one of the first upgrades we did to the truck after we took delivery :sweet

Now I check friend's Excursions to make sure they have one too :)

Bill

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I need one for the F250 BAD!!!

Tbar

HCAbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats on the list of things at tax time to get for the mighty Ex....V codes and a rear sway bar....

Anyone ever done a pinion seal on a 10.25 Sterling? Is it a DIY project or a garage thing? Its not leaking bad, just starting to seep, so I want to nip it in the butt before it gets any worse!!

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Tbar said:
I need one for the F250 BAD!!!

Tbar
If I recall correctly JC whitney has the rear sway bar kit for like $160 including shipping but it takes a couple weeks to arrive -popcorn

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2005 X is a 4X4 and already has a sway bar. Is the aftermarket version a great improvement over the stock one? Or is it geared more towards 2WD's without one?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58