TECH: Rear sway bar (install)...worth it's weight in gold!!

Wawuzat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
PSD POWER007 said:
My 2005 X is a 4X4 and already has a sway bar. Is the aftermarket version a great improvement over the stock one? Or is it geared more towards 2WD's without one?

The Hellwig anti-swaybar is an improvement over the OEM bar for two reasons. First, the Hellwig bar is more torsionally rigid because of its larger diameter. Second, the Hellwig mounts to the axle further outboard (at your shock mounts), which gives it a greater mechanical advantage over the OEM pumpkin mounts.

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wawuzat said:
The Hellwig anti-swaybar is an improvement over the OEM bar for two reasons. First, the Hellwig bar is more torsionally rigid because of its larger diameter. Second, the Hellwig mounts to the axle further outboard (at your shock mounts), which gives it a greater mechanical advantage over the OEM pumpkin mounts.

Have you been in an X that replaced the stock bar with the Hellwig? Could you feel a noticeable difference? The theory totally makes since, just wondering if you had first hand experience.
Thanks!

bigdaddyTank

Who's your Bigdaddy?
Reaction score
If anyone need's a comparison ride, I can help out. Let me know if you want to know what a 01 4x4 X rides like with NO swaybar and 93,000 miles on the factory shocks and bumpstops :roflmao

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Driving without a rear sway bar was enough for us,especially with the 1,800 mile roadtrip for the first 1,800 miles on the clock -popcorn

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
none to ANY type is night and day difference - Agree big time...

stock 24mm to stock 30 mm bar has some improvement as reported somewhere on this internet :)

stock to Hellwig - KNOW there is a torsional strength difference AND weight AND mounting arm difference, but I put it on a different truck - can't tell you the statistical difference and don't know many could....
but the Hellwig @ JC Whitney is only about $150, so it wouldn't be much to test the premise....

Wawuzat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
PSD POWER007 said:
Have you been in an X that replaced the stock bar with the Hellwig? Could you feel a noticeable difference?

My 01 had none until I added the Hellwig. There are a few folks on other forums who HAVE swapped out the OEM rear bar for the Hellwig, AND said it was quite noticeable. In addition, a couple guys have gone so far as to swap out the FRONT OEM bar for a Hellwig.

KevinsOffroad

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
bonfire said:
Kevin

I remember you from my ZJ jeep days at the JU forums. good to see your still around. Thats the place where I learned about death wobble :eek: . The most fear inspiring thing I believe I've ever encountered in a vehicle. Anyway glad to have you at SDD :thumbs

Bill

Hey there, Bill. Great to hear from you. I'm LOL about the DW comment...I seem to talk about DW with at least three or four customers a week, it seems. Thankfully we've come up with a combative measure that's been pretty effective. Thanks for saying "hi", my friend!

Kevin

KevinsOffroad

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Wawuzat said:
My 01 had none until I added the Hellwig. There are a few folks on other forums who HAVE swapped out the OEM rear bar for the Hellwig, AND said it was quite noticeable. In addition, a couple guys have gone so far as to swap out the FRONT OEM bar for a Hellwig.

I will be replacing my front as well. This thing still turns like a barge, even with the drastic improvement.

BTW, anyone with a 2wd somewhere in Phoenix, I would love to drive it and have you drive mine to tell me if I'm just a complainer or if my X drives like absolute crap. I drove my '96 Chevy 1T. shop truck again today with 140k on the clock, and it just reminded me all over again how much I dislike driving the X. I can feel every single bump in the road for some reason. I don't get it...it's HORRIBLE. SOMETHING must be the matter. I still haven't replaced the lower control arm bushings, but it's on my list.

Kevin

Wawuzat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
KevinsOffroad said:
I drove my '96 Chevy 1T. shop truck again today with 140k on the clock, and it just reminded me all over again how much I dislike driving the X. I can feel every single bump in the road for some reason. I don't get it...it's HORRIBLE. SOMETHING must be the matter.Kevin

Trim the front bump-stops like mentioned on some other forums, and get ya' a set of Landyot's radius rods to get rid of the skittishness in the rear axle. I'd rather drive my '01 X than my wife's '05 'Stang.

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed my Hellwig rear sway bar today on my 05 X 4WD. WOW! What a difference. :thumbs to this mod!!!
My question now is, Is it worth it to change the front one? Anyone just do the back then do the front later? Noticeable difference???
For those of you without a rear sway, I'll sell my stocker for about $50 plus UPS ground shipping. PM me if interested.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58