Question Ten Thousand Dollar Mark and still love/hate it!

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
Just passed the 10,000 dollar mark in repairs w/never having any performance mods and all maintenance being performed on time since day one. It all started with the Crank Position Sensor, EGR Valve, then the FICM, EGR & Oil Cooler and now the STC Fittings. Whats next?? Now @ 62,000 miles..

hulkster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I would delete the, egr cooler,egr valve, looks like you pull a camper, look at bulletproof diesel.com install a external oil cooler, have the standpipes under the valve covers updated w/new o ring style. run full synthetic oil. I am not a fan of programmers on a 6.0
but if you do just don't run it on the highest program especially if your 6.0 has stock headbolts. A stock 6.0 has laminated headgaskets. Believe it or not these laminated gaskets with stock headbolts on a truck w/a programmer, if the turbo is overboosting stock headbolts can actually stretch and the head will actually move on the laminated gasket, the amount of move and stretch is in micro meters but when they do, Headgasket time. Ever heard of a 7.3 blowing a headgasket? doubt it doesnt have laminated gaskets.

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
I have dumped so much money recently into this truck... Why do you think ford knows its the STC fittings and not the Standpipes/plugs?

hulkster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The only way to verify it is in fact a stc fitting is to tear the engine down to the high pressure oil pump. I take out the icp sensor and with a special tool i made that screws into the icp sensor port. I regulate anywhere from 30 to 50 psi of shop air through the system i dont use more than this because you can blow the seal out of a perfectly good pump, the pump has a weep hole in the back so you have to active/close the ipr so no air escapes,(using a Ford scanner) w/shop air holding pressure you simply just listen for the leak, if it is the stc fitting you can actually see if it is bad because you will see the air bubbling from around the fitting. I fabricated a fitting blockoff tool once you remove the pump to replace the stc fitting i can install this fitting to presure test the integrity of the rest of the system. Symptoms of a leaking stc fitting vary from say a blown stc fitting, if stc is leaking symptoms can be, hard long starts, starts ok cold,hard starts hot,stumbles under a load(presure loss) the pump usually can build 500 psi and overwhelm the leak, a leaking standpipe o ring can be the same symptom, where a blown stc fitting usually is a crank no start under any circumstance. If your dealer says it is the stc, insist they replace the standpipes with the updated part # all four of them!.

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
Will do.. Hopefully I can get a couple of my kids sold prior to getting the bill.. lol Thanks

hulkster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
yah, you will always hear a leak if you just air pressure test through the icp sensor port that is why it is important to close the ipr, air will leak through the weep hole in the back of the pump, fooled me a couple of times if ya don't have a good understanding of how the high pressure oil system works on a 6.0 you will be changing parts and banging your head againat the wall until you pass out, believe me i have the scars to prove it. good luck

roger2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do.. Hopefully I can get a couple of my kids sold prior to getting the bill.. lol Thanks

Hey Boadie, I was a proud owner of a 2003 6.0 with 185k on it. The wife finally capped my repair budget with the failure of my HPOP and gave me the choice, start patching it together with scrap metal or get a new truck. I am now the owner of a 2012 F-250 with the 6.7. All I can say is "damn the suckers got some monster torque". In the immortal words of Clint Eastwood " a man has got to know his limitations". On a side note, I held off selling the kids and started working the recycled can option.:D ;tu :lmao

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to drive that truck more 62K on a 2005 you should be ashamed. These trucks are like a girlfriend they need constant "exercising".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58