Newbie The 6.0

First Ford

Black Momba
Reaction score
Hello my good people. I am a ''New to ford truck'' owner. I sold my thirsty 7.4 gas cheve and bought a 2003 superduty FX4. I am a cajun from south Louisiana, 31 and a father of one. I am happy with my ford so far as I am pulling a 30ft camper with it very often. I do wish I would have done more home work with the 6.0 powerstroke before I got this one ''2003''. It seems that this year model as you all know was the intro to the 6.0 and had alot of kinks to work out. Would I be able to get with Ford and give my vin # in order to find out the past recall work done on this truck? How are you 2003 6.0 guys doing with your trucks. I know all about most all the problems they had with the 03's and mid 04's with the TTY crap HB they installed and the EGR bypass cooler leaking and the HP oil pumps and so forth.... I will be honest, if I knew that you had to pull the cab to get to these head bolts I would have not bought this truck. Does anyone have any comments on this or suggestions for me as far as your own opp.. Thanks All

atk

Reaction score
Welcome to SDD....take your VIN # to Ford and ask for an OASIS report. it will tell you what work has been done to truck at a Ford dealership....

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
Welcome to SDD....As you can see in my signature I have an early 2003 6.0, my truck (knock on wood) has only had three injectors replaced due to a bad batch of fuel and the egr cleaned all at the same time. That was at 27,000 miles and just over two years ago. Now the truck has 60,000 miles and is running like a top. I think if you spend some time reading through the information on this site, you'll find there is a strong following with the 6.0 liter engine and with a little preventive maintenance it will reward you with some great service through the years.

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
Welcome to SDD....As you can see in my signature I have an early 2003 6.0, my truck (knock on wood) has only had three injectors replaced due to a bad batch of fuel and the egr cleaned all at the same time. That was at 27,000 miles and just over two years ago. Now the truck has 60,000 miles and is running like a top. I think if you spend some time reading through the information on this site, you'll find there is a strong following with the 6.0 liter engine and with a little preventive maintenance it will reward you with some great service through the years.

X2--just takes a few small prevenative maintenance things and you shouldnt have many issues

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine has 92k on it and has been mostly trouble free. Had to have the computer flashed to fix the cold start issue, and I think I am in the very early staged of a water pump dying. Other that that, oil at 5k fuel filter at 10k and fuel when the needle tell me it needs some. I love the truck. If it has some miles on it, the bugs should have been taken care of by now......

Enjoy the truck..........

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off Welcome to SSD.com, hope you come back often.

I have a friend in Dallas who got one of the very first 6.0 and it's got about 60,000 on it now and he pulls a 16,000 fifth wheel with it and has from day one when he got the truck new.
He drives it 65 to 75 pulling the trailer, and it has never been back to the dealer the first time yet.
Good luck with yours and hope you get many enjoyable miles out of it.
Happy Camping
Doug

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard "First Ford". Good to see another Louisianian on board. I'm originally from the piney woods of north LA (Winn Parish) and have lived in the Dallas area now for almost 25 years, but still go back quite often as my mom lives there.

Hope you post often, I know you gonna have some good times here, I ga-rawn-tee!!!
AAAAHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SDD.com - I have an 06 with 47,000 on it - Only thing i had replaced was EGR valve when i had the Carbon cleaning Process done to it at the ford dealer. I did that as preventative maintenance and it worked excellent. Just make sure you change the oil at the correct intervals and it should give you years of service. Remember, it did pass all of the durability testing at the factory in stock form. I wouldn't trade mine for any other motor ;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim