The first F-Series truck

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
The first F-Series truck (known as the Ford Bonus-Built) from Ford was introduced in 1948, replacing the company's previous car-based pickup line. I somehow just got one handed to me from my step-dad :sweet He purchased it a few years ago with plans on refurbishing it but has since decided that he is not going to get around to it. It has the original 239 CID Flathead V8 and is not in bad shape for a 60 year old truck. Now I have to decide weather to refurbish it stock or make a hot rod with a souped up PowerStroke under the hood ;tu What do ya think should be done?

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
That's awsome Crumm. My vote would be the latter of the two options, but that's me! It'd probably be worth more if you re-do it stock, but that might get boring, and plus, how many other people have these trucks with a souped up PSD under the hood? Good luck and keep us posted!! Can't wait to see it.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
crumm- i think it all depends on how much needs to be worked on or replaced. if you need to replace everything, it wont be much more work to make it a hot rod. if its in really good shape, maybe leave it all original (wich would be worth more in the end probably).

PICS!!!

Whata250

Whata250
Reaction score
Truck

A good friend of mine is almost done witht he same project. They had a 48 Ford with Flathead V-8 that his Dad had bought new. They owned a Service station and it sat out on the corner for years. He went back with the Flathead. He upgraded brakes and put a driveable rear gear ratio. They are pretty low from factory.
But he now has the advantage of working daily in the paint and body business.

Good luck....need pics

The first F-Series truck (known as the Ford Bonus-Built) from Ford was introduced in 1948, replacing the company's previous car-based pickup line. I somehow just got one handed to me from my step-dad :sweet He purchased it a few years ago with plans on refurbishing it but has since decided that he is not going to get around to it. It has the original 239 CID Flathead V8 and is not in bad shape for a 60 year old truck. Now I have to decide weather to refurbish it stock or make a hot rod with a souped up PowerStroke under the hood ;tu What do ya think should be done?

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what a great predicament to be in, deciding between original and a souped up PS! I would love to see it with a powerstroke then taken to the track and cleaning up all those bowtie gassers.
I have almost the same problem (just not as cool as a 48 Ford) I came into a 88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe that is in good, driveable condition. The body is rust free, which is most important to me. I have thought about playing with the 2.3 turbo motor or using a 351W block I have laying around and stroking it to a 408.
love to see some pics of the 48!

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome project Crumm. A friend of mine is currently in the process of building a 1932 Ford coupe into a street rod with a big block Ford FE motor. Alot of people have given him flack about cutting up the car and making it a hot rod because it is an original steel body. His response to them is anybody can restore a classic, it takes a real man to cut one up. My vote, go with the PSD. I always wanted to put on in a hot rod myself. And please, keep us posted.

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look in the current Diesel Power, there is a classic international pickup that was done up with a power stroke. Alls I can say is I want one. I would go with the powerstroke, though I think that the flathead would be sweet.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
My dad has the identical truck Crumm, 48 F1 with the flathead V-8. Totally unrestored and 100% complete. It is in relatively decent shape like you mentioned for a 60 year old piece of iron.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58