The IDM mod DECODED!!!

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So,

Lets just say I "came across" a modded IDM, and it happened to just, oh, I donno, open up while I had my camera pointed at it...

www.forgotton.net/diesel/idmmod/index.htm

Not that I would EVER reveal a 300 dollar mod that someone has the market cornered on. :D :D :D

Enjoy folks, but read the disclaimer!! You screw this up, and your SOL. Also, I have not confirmed my results on my OWN IDM, so this is untested info. However, its pretty hard to screw up with a digital ohm meter.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks again for your de-mystifying of another powerstroke electronic item. And here I thought there were fairys and wizards in there!

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
NIce work there detective. Looks like more cheap horsepower on the horizon.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
what does it do?im a little unfamiliar with the IDm mods part of the strokes.is that yellow and green wire added to it or is it already in there and you need to snip it and use it?whats the worst that can happen if i do thi,a dead IDM?or will it screw up the injectors?i have a spare IDm that im willing to play with if it will give more power :thumbs

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
also what is the yellow wire supposed to be conected too?in picture 3&4 it isnt connected to anything.:dunno

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IDM mod increases the injector driver voltage from 110v to 140v. This allows the injectors to fire with a little more assertion, and just a hair faster. Some have claimed no noticeable difference, others HAVE seen a difference. I think it depends on the truck, much like the 10k mod reacts differently on different trucks.

The yellow wire I removed because you dont want to take OHM readings to a connected circuit. It simply resolders to the end of the resistor.

None of those wires are inside the box. You have to REMOVE a small SURFACE MOUNT resistor in order to solder the wires to the place where the resistor came from.

Again, I post this more as information, and not as a true HOW TO. There is (was?) a lot of *mystery* about how the IDM mod is (was?) done, and I posted that info to help clear up some assumptions.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Rich,

What the mod does is increase the voltage that the IDM is able to put out. I believe the stock IDM pushes 110V DC and the modded one (through lower resitance) pushes 140V DC. What this does is makes your injectors "open up" faster. Now faster is relative when you are talking milli seconds but the gain is significant. On a stock truck with a modded IDM increases of 20+ HP and 60 ft lbs are reported. Once again, just like the shimmed FPR and 10K mod, this can be a very cheap increase in HP. Uptill now the IDM mod has been shrouded in mystery and was being "sold" for around $300.00.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58