The IDM mod DECODED!!!

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
im still a little confused on the wireing parti see the 3093 resister with the red wire soldered to one end and the green on the other end of it with the RN55D resister soldered to the end of the 3093 resister with the green wire.and the gray wire on the other end of the RN55D resister.does the yellow wire go on the end of the RN55d with the gray wire?sorry if this sounds confusing.

the way i understand the picture is this.the yellow and green wires are soldered to the board where there was a resister.then it has the RN55D resister between them.now add the 3093 resister to the green wire and solder the red switch wire to the other end of it.and then the gray wire is soldered to the yellow wire.so when its done the 3093 resister is the one that is switched and either override/add to the resistance of the RN55D resistor.so in other words the two wires are extensions with the RN55D so that it would be stock untill you added the switch and the 3093 resistor. :confused: :dunno :nutkick:

with my mods that have been done will it make a noticeable difference in my truck?and is it like the chip and can be switched on the fly while driveing?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
will it show up during a service vist? nice way to gain a little without really hurting anything.
20 hp and 60 ft lbs is a good gain for 50 cents

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
ok i answered my own question.sometimes you just gotta look in 2 places for the answer :D .im gonna try it and see what happens.now can we play with different resistors and get more voltage from it?or should i just use what was posted and be done with it?you can get an IDM for a reasonable price on ebay so if i screw it up ill just buy another one. :sweet

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The two resistors are in PARALLEL. The yellow/green wire goes to both ends of the first resistor (75k ohm). Basically allowing you to "move" the original resistor from the circuit board to a remote location.

You then solder one end the second resistor (309K ohm) to one wire (say green), the other end of the second resistor get soldered to one side of an ON/OFF switch (via a long wire), and the other side of the switch gets sent back to the YELLOW wire (via another long wire).

I would not change the values of the resistors. I do NOT know any of the circuit paths of the IDM, and I dont know the values of any other parts, so I cannot tell you what changing the resistors will do to the IDM.

Again, if you dont understand electronics, you prolly shouldnt be doing this.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
im not an electronics expert but im willing to try anything :D .i havent seen anybody else thats willing to try it and see what happens,so i will :sweet

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
im not an electronics expert but im willing to try anything :D .i havent seen anybody else thats willing to try it and see what happens,so i will :sweet

Well, I've only just posted it less than 24 hours hahahahaha. Im willing to do it to my truck as well, but first I need to go round up the correct parts, then find a time when my truck can be down for a couple days.

Im confident in my findings to try it to my truck. Someone obviously "played" in the past to come up with the mod to begin with, but now Im hoping to find some more "Open" experimenters, and not the "private club" thats been doing it the last few years.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
i opened up my spare to find out where the wire go on the board.there is a little blue rectangle thing(resistor?) with the number 6042 on it.hopefully i can get it off and the wires on with out screwing up the board.be carefull when removing the cover as the edge is sharp,i sliced my finger on it -mad .

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
also what kind of digi cam are you using?i cant get a decent picture of the board with mine.its about 4 years old so i think its time for a new one :thanks

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IM BACKWARDS!!!!!

6042 is close tolerance code for 60.4k (60,400 ohms).

That means they are INCREASING the resistance, not lowering it! Interesting.....

Thanks for the catch!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14