Things to do while R/R'ing ball joints?

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been chasing a vibration lately and while there's a pretty good chance it's warped rotors (I know they're a warped, but the vibration is all the time not just when I'm braking), I've been thinking about R/R'ing the ball joints to see if that isn't the problem. I'm wondering if there are any other bits and pieces that I should replace while I'm that far into things (tie rod ends, etc...). If I replace a part, I'd rather replace it with heavier-duty or greaseable units to ensure a longer life for the part so if you have links/ideas for parts to replace with, I'd appreciate it.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Brake rotor problems will lead to ball joints going south and tie rod ends getting sloppy. I would change them and see that helps or not. I will bet it will help a lot.

Dave

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warning--Dumb question incoming:

I have never bothered to learn very much about steering linkages, but am I correct in assuming that the tie rod ends attach to the ball joints which are then attached to the steering knuckles?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
JV, the tie rods go from the steering links to the pitman arms on the wheel/hub assembly. The wheel/hub assembly is held onto the axle with the ball joints. These allow the wheel/hub to turn, using the ball joints as a pivot. Take a look at your truck and it will be clear. :)

Dave

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a look at your truck and it will be clear. :)

Dave

Cool--thanks. Is it OK if I wait until it quits snowing before crawling about under my truck? Are there any other bushings/bearings that I should replace while I'm that far into things? This "while I'm at it" mode of thinking is going to get expensive, but I'd rather fix things properly instead of having to tear it all apart in 10,000 miles to replace another component.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Check your front bearings VERY CLOSELY!!

You have to remove them to remove the front axle shafts to remove the steering knuckle anyhow. If they even look questionable, there would be no better time to replace them than now. Also replace the front dust seals around the axle shafts and check the axle shaft u-joints. These are all things that'll have to be removed to get to the ball joints anyhow. If they're bad, all you'll be doing is installing new parts instead of putting old parts back on.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Axle shaft are only if you have a 4 wheel drive, but the bearing and seals are still there. Get a ball joint press tool from a tool rental to do the ball joints. This is almost a must-have tool to do the job. You could get around without it, but life is much too short.

Dave

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Axle shaft are only if you have a 4 wheel drive,
Dave

Tis true oh moderation meister. I'm too used to seeing and thinking in a 4wd mindset do to the usual seasonal weather here in DA U.P.:red

2wd pickup trucks around here are in the minority.

ramprat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey JV, when ya get done with your truck ya can do mine :sly :sly :sly :sly :hail :notworthy :hail :notworthy :D :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58