Thinking of trading in your diesel on gas??

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a 2003 7.3L crewcab 4x4. Like how my truck pulls my 3k lb boat and 6k lb trailer. A lot.

Problem is my truck seats 5, and by February we'll have 6 in our fambly. So a different vehicle is in the mix most likely.

Given that now diesel is still higher than gasoline, I crunched the numbers on a vehicle with comparable towing capacity vs. the diesels. Actually, given that even the diesels get better fuel economy *towing* and about the same empty (or slightly better) it really winds up as a wash given the price spread in gas vs. diesel prices.

So the better fuel mileage is negated by the increased price per gallon of diesel.

So I've heard a few details that is making me NOT examine a diesel for my next heavy hauler. I wanted to see what the consensus is for you guys out there.

I'm not a dyed in the wool diesel fan, but I do respond to economics here.

1. Demand for diesel is likely to go up (and comparatively prices) given the following facts:

1. The electrical plants in China burn diesel.
2. Europe is using more diesel now, especially since the value of the dollar is lower.
3. We will have to build new refineries in order to increase supply capacity of diesel. Very long term deal. A significant portion of our diesel is currently imported already refined as Europe has a bit of an excess capacity that they are willing to sell (although if you read #2 that might not be the case and likely indicates to further increases in diesel).

One point to consider with diesel prices: Our economy runs on diesel, so I would speculate that if the US gummit did anything for fuel prices, they would focus on diesel first.

So what are you guy's thoughts on this? Are you guys sticking to diesels (especially "hobby" tow guys like me, not necessarily professional guys)?

desert50eagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you considered a late modeled (05ish) low-mileage excursion with the 6.0? It would have plenty of seating and power to boot...

Your number crunching seems logical-but.......

1. IMO a gas powered puller would do considerably worse on fuel economy vs diesel when both are heftily loaded....

2. A well maintained diesel puller will give you considerably more vehicle life AND resale value vs. a gasser....how many gas powered superduties do you see for sale with over 200K miles....300K or more? Would you buy a gasser with that many miles?

Again just my opinion but I truly think youll get more bang for your buck with a diesel...

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sold on anything Diesel. I'll never own another Gas engine.

When our 99 Windstar craps out, whatever we go with, it will be a Diesel of some sort. Hybrid maybe, but the internal combustion engine component will operate on the Diesel principle. Compression~Heat= Combustion. Simple.. I like Simple.

Gasoline engines are WAY, WAY to complicated anymore. They've lived their technological Life.

New Diesel (principle) technology is out there.. In the next 3 to 5years, I think we'll see it start to have an effect on what powers our motive needs.

Jus my .03

Last edited:

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you considered a late modeled (05ish) low-mileage excursion with the 6.0? It would have plenty of seating and power to boot...

Your number crunching seems logical-but.......

1. IMO a gas powered puller would do considerably worse on fuel economy vs diesel when both are heftily loaded....

2. A well maintained diesel puller will give you considerably more vehicle life AND resale value vs. a gasser....how many gas powered superduties do you see for sale with over 200K miles....300K or more? Would you buy a gasser with that many miles?

Again just my opinion but I truly think youll get more bang for your buck with a diesel...

Point #1 is definately true. But since I am a 'hobby' puller, the mileage I'll run towing is considerably less than the unladen mileage. I do recognize that.

Point #2 is for sure, but that is also balanced by the lower acquisition costs of used vehicles.

My deal here is that if diesel keeps going up in price, at what point do they not make economic sense anymore?

skipnay

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 5.4 3 valve F150 supercrew. I got about 15-16.5 empty. When I pulled it got from 8.5-12 with a flat trailer and my car on it and it was right about 5500 lbs give or take 100 lbs and that wasn't always being hard on it.

desert50eagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
\
\My deal here is that if diesel keeps going up in price, at what point do they not make economic sense anymore?

I do agree with you about the rising cost of fuel. IT SUCKS! However Diesel AND gas prices are both rising. Its not like Diesel is going up and gas isn't.....
I do hope that some of the promising new sources for biodiesel come through for us.

I only recently bought this truck. It is my first OWNERSHIP of a diesel (after years of driving them) and I couldn't be any happier with it. I based my choice for a diesel vehicle on longevity, capability and better economy(Than a comparable gasser). We previously owned an F250 with the V10 in it and all I remember is the economy being abysmal at best...
Now I don't honestly think that Ill ever go back to gasser.....

Sorry to ramble but if it makes sense to you to buy a gasser then by all means do. You are the only one that has to justify your purchase. I am just trying to give you my perspective...hope it helps:)

Good Luck ;tu with your new vehicle search and let us know what you finally decide.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
2. Europe is using more diesel now, especially since the value of the dollar is lower.
no, it's because South American biodiesel refiners have discovered a loophole in our tax laws subsidizing bio blends. :rant

last year, 200,000,000 gallons of bio-diesel that came into Gulf ports was never offloaded.. it was "blended" (contaminated?) with 1% petroleum diesel, and re-exported to Europe. :stir

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres a guy down the street from my shop that has been playing with a HHO unit. The numbers he's getting is turning some heads, for a diesel. He will talk about what he's doing but wont show you the set up. I've see bits of it and the numbers he's pulling. He's shooting for 50 mpg, he's up to 42 mpg now. So soon his HHO unit will be on the market for diesel trucks. He's trying to get the cost down to about 200 bucks or less. So hang on to you diesels.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58