Thinking of trading in your diesel on gas??

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Gas truck runs on gas or ethanol.

Diesel can run on diesel, biodiesel, waste vegetable oil, virgin vegetable oil, or any other number of fuels.

The U.S. Army issued my unit a VW Golf. I fueled up at the motor pool at the same pump the Abrams tanks used. Both used jet fuel JP 5. I thought it neat to cruise up the autobahn from Stuttgart to Frankfurt on a jet fuel power Golf. No speed limit.:D

My point? Diesel engines can use a greater variety of fuels, the penalty between laden fuel economy and empty fuel economy is far less than with a gasser, and you can't beat the torque of a diesel.

Go with the oil burner. You can get one cheaper now because some people are in panic mode and are dumping their trucks for econoboxes.

Gas and diesel are both going up in price. I for one can't see how a person could come out ahead by dumping a diesel for a gas engine. But the choice is yours.

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think for most folks a F150 is more econo minded still. They have diesel just high enough to offset the MPG gains vs gas. That's why they're keeping diesel spread, b/c they know if it were the same everyone would be buying diesel cars like europe, and for some reason there are forces/people in this country that hate the idea of diesel being the mainstream (my theorey) b/c private companies would sprout up making bio fuels. But $/Mile F150. Vehcile is WAY cheaper, oil changes are less, maintance is less, insurance is less, fuel is less etc. They need to get clued in a 50 mpg Gas hybrid stinks vs a Diesel hybrid. But hybrids will not solve our problem(s). Down sizing our vehicles is only a temp fix, like a band-aid. I think our answers lie in a Tacoma sized and F150 sized crew cab 4x4 pickups with diesel engines running on American petro based diesel and/or american Bio Diesel. and other diesel/hybrid cars. That would put a crunch on the barrel #'s and keep truck guys happy. I keep screaming I like the Toyota CC/SB Hilux pickups from Europe.. they even have Straigt axles upfront and full float axles in the rear and a 4cyl TDI!!! My cousin is getting about 35mpg's out of his and driving slow is not an option.

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HHO??

42 mpg:dizzy:dizzy

can u elaborate...

No, I don’t that much about what he's doing.
He was one of fords brain child for new truck engines and new fuels. (Ret.)

I asked him to come and check out the site and inlighten us on his HHO unit.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I was talking with my dad the other day about the cost of driving my truck which right now puts the fuel costs right around 30¢/mile or a bit less but that's a nice round number to do math with in my head.

Of course he says what does that translate to in MPG, which is 16 or slightly more in my case. He's surprised at the mileage and says that since he's "slowed down" to around 65 cruising he is getting 15 out of his '01 supercrew 4wd 5.4L (about 27¢/mile)

I was rather surprised I had towed my "little utility" trailer behind both my truck and his and my mileage drops to around 12 (40¢/mile) on the interstates while his dropped to 8 (51¢/mile).

¢/mile based on 4.75 diesel and 4.10 regular.

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those F150's have MPG #'s all over the place. I joined a F150 forum and no 2 people could agree on mileage, 5.4 or 4.6. :dunno Either way right now dealers see folks like us "down sizing". So they try selling it like we're saving a small fortune buying this F150. More like splitting hairs on the fuel really. If you look at the cost of maintance, and INSURANCE it's a biggie. my insurance would go down about $120/yr alone last time I checked. Oil changes are almost half the money on the 5.4 too. I like the looks and size of the F150 a lot. Has a stiff frame too, unlike our C channel frame flexing monster. But we have bigger axles and diesel engines. Life aint fair. If we could combine the F150 & 250 we'd be onto someting.

Last edited:

Mountaineer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
As one of the newest diesel owners on the site, I can understand the debate. I traded up from an 06 F150 Supercrew to my 250. I tow my travel trailer at least two dozen times per year, which was enough to justify the extra expense of diesel to me to have the extra torque. Some would argue why not use a 150 to tow no more than that, but it's hard to beat that diesel power once you've been exposed to it.

At this point, I'm still to the good by .06 cents/mile, not towing. Towing mileage is much better as my 150 really sucked down the gas when I hooked up. There does appear to be a wide variation on mileage in the 150s and mine had about 13K on the clock, so I'm sure it would have improved had I kept it longer.
All this being said, I love my diesel and can't imagine going back to a gas burner. No replacment for the :D experienced while towing. Made it all worthwile for me, but everyone has their own unique circumstances.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58