Question This is bad...

therealjakeg

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just bought an 06 250 Lariat with 13k on it. It was a theft recovery vehicle had cosmetic damages and stuff stolen only. I took her for her fisrt maden voyage pulling a 2500 pund race car trailer for 600 miles. Didt skip a beat in the hills and across the desert. Hopped in it Yesterday plenty warmed up and went around a corner and lost power stayed running but then started to pull over and a huge puff of white smoke poured out of her. Then was leaving the track this morning and it did the same thing and stayed like that pouring thick white smoke and then not going over 25 then it cleared up and did it one more time a short burst and now the engine light is on. I have a cat delete on it a banks intercooler and intake set up and a edge juice on it and I ONLY use the juice for mileage. Any ideas on her? I should mention that I have no warranty due to the title. Any suggestions on aftermarket warranties? Thanks for the help.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Head gaskets. You have a blown head gasket, as shown with the white smoke. How is the coolant level? If it is low, this is your problem. Head gaskets are a big item.

Dave

therealjakeg

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The level is good checked it. I turned the programmer off and it seems to be ok I need to get the engine light checked and cleared to see what the problem is.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
most likely its the head gaskets.. but could be the egr cooler too... the non loss of coolant doesn't make sense though.. if it were the heads the coolant level would be struggling i would think...

therealjakeg

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Alright Well I got a scanner today and it is P0404 Exhause Gas recirculation circuit. So my question is, is it the valve or the cooler that is plugging up. I read some TSBs on it and it says that If you use the Cetane that it loosens up all the crap so Im sure it wasnt used prior to me owning it so Maybe thats why its clogging up. Anyone have the link to how to clean it and any useful tips when doing it. The coolant level is still the same the white smoke was caused by unburned fuel build up in the valve body sticking. Thanks for all help.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
There is a couple of things associated with the EGR system, the EGR valve and the EGR Cooler. The EGR Valve is what gets loaded up with carbon. I think this is what you are referring to with the cetane booster. I have never heard this. The EGR Cooler cools the Exhaust Gasses before they are re-introduced into the intake tract. The EGR Cooler can cause a high water temperature. You can replace the EGR Cooler to see if that is your problem. The P0404 says "Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Range/Performance". So this does not tell me that it is overheating. The WIKI Section here has the DTCs.

Dave

therealjakeg

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm gonna try to pull it tonight. If you have the number I appreciate it. Thanks for the info.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58