This is different...

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
Yesterday, I decided to take my Hitchhiker to Colorado and store it at a friend of mine's place for the winter. The camper is 34.5', and it tips the scales at around 12.9K with all the junk in it. For the trip, I decided to plug my LiveLink software I use for my Hot Rod, just to see what engine parameters I can monitor... and to make sure the aftermarket water gauge was close to what the computer was seeing. - When I installed it a few years ago, some guy on a forum told me installing the temp probe in the cyl head would give me grossly inaccurate results, blah blah blah. -

Computer and aftermarket temp readings are FOUR degrees off! Aftermarket gauge shows 194℉ and the computer sees 190℉ (as generally seen during normal driving). That is not a gross inaccuracy, IMHO.

But what caught my eye was the following:

When water temps are low (190'ish), oil temps are higher than when water temps are high. See screenshots.

This leads to the question "Is the oil cooler on the Power Strokes so efficient that when moving down the highway pulling a heavy load under high rpm (2500-3000) it cools the oil with such efficiency it's scary, or (the more plausible explanation) Is the PCM on crack?"

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I cannot fathom oil temps of 97 degrees pulling a 35' 5er down the road at 73 mph. Youre coolant temp was 218 (which actually seems a bit high) and I have a feeling your oil should be just about the same. ;)

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
It seems odd to me too. All I know is that when the EOT's are 25deg. higher than coolant temp. it's probably a failed oil cooler. Were both of those thumbnail images representing the engine after running for awhile(operating temp.), or was one taken with temp.s on their way up after a cold soak?

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
The first pic I seem to have clipped the timeline out of it. :dunno:

The second picture, on the bottom you can see elapsed time in seconds. The images are screenshots of realtime readings while I was going down the highway. (Well, I took the screenshots AFTER I stopped). Motor was warmed up (been so for a few hours), and it was trucking down the road.

As far as the temps seeming a bit higher... eh. I was going up a hill doing 73MPH, more than half way on the gogo pedal, what do you expect? :D
Oh, and cooling is by Evans, so it will run about 10 degrees warmer by design over conventional water based coolant.

fitterboytoo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Have you ever checked you engine oil when refueling---the dipstick is cool enought to touch by hand--don't try it with a gas engine-you will burn your hand---FB2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14