Question This is going to drive me nuts!!!

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 06 has 100k on it now. Mostly trouble free, except for the annual set of batteries, and the HPOP. Now, I am having a wierd problem. When I turn left, and only when I turn left, there is a sound like a bad CV joint is going out. I checked the front end, ball joints, tie rods, shocks, the whole shooting match, and found nothing. So, I took it to my friendly neighborhood mechanic, and he checked it out, same discovery. Nothing was wrong. He said he did feel a small catch in the unit bearing, which I went ahead and had replaced, since he was that close to having it done. So, are there any ideas on what this could be? It is unsettling, simply because something has to be wrong, and I cannot figure it out.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you're 4wd check the front axle shaft u-joints and verify that your hubs are unlocked. and that the front axleshafts are not turning

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 easy way to check is just crawl under it and see if the front drive shaft turns freely. If not then the hubs are either still engaged or if they are disengaged you may have a vacuum leak.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
el ditto.......

p.s. you did not mention sway bar/links BUT i assume you did check them out!!!

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All that has been done. Frustration is setting in... It is wierd, but it has been cooler here the past few days, and the noise seems to have been reduced. It just is not making sense to me.

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had new batteries in this truck every year that I have had it. I have only had to pay once, but still...

wilefish

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
crawl under the truck and make sure the exhaust pipe isnt rubbing the frame.i know it sounds crazy ,but my truck will do this now and again.only while turning left.the pipe right infront of the converter where it begins to turn up will rub a bolt head that sticks out.i believe its the bolt on the leaf spring shackle

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm, That could be a possibility. I had a 4 inch exhaust put on about the time it started.

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that we have a winner. I recently had a 4 inch exhause installed, turbo back, and there is about an eighth inch clearance between teh down pipe and the manifold coming off the back of the engine. There is a rub mark on the down pipe, so it has likely been rubbing. Now what to do to keep it from rubbing. I don't need a hole in it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58