Question This is going to drive me nuts!!!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that we have a winner. I recently had a 4 inch exhause installed, turbo back, and there is about an eighth inch clearance between teh down pipe and the manifold coming off the back of the engine. There is a rub mark on the down pipe, so it has likely been rubbing. Now what to do to keep it from rubbing. I don't need a hole in it.

Loosening all the clamps, from the turbo back.. JUST A LITTLE.. then moving everything a bit with a pry bar.. then wedging things with some wooden blocks or whatever is handy.... then Re-tightening all the clamps.... usually works :dunno

Joe

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update,
The original suspect was wrong. There is a bolt head on the cross member just ahead of where the cat should be, that the exhaust was hitting. It was close enough that during normal driving there would be no problem, just on left turns. It is all better now.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
After reading this, I crawled under my truck as I have the same clunk. My 4 inch exhaust is also hitting the bolt on the crossmember. What did you do to fix it?

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
After reading this, I crawled under my truck as I have the same clunk. My 4 inch exhaust is also hitting the bolt on the crossmember. What did you do to fix it?

look at what big joe said above.... I had this happen on my 03 and my brother just had to fix it on his 05... loosen her up at the turbo... make sure she is where you want her.. put something in there (spacer/wedge thing) then tight her back up and remove whatever type of spacer/wedge thingy you had in it and you should be good to go....

this is a common problem with a 4" downpipe....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58