Thoughts on Up-pipe installation.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Seeing as how my D66 is not yet on it's way because of back ordered 1.0 turbine housings, I've been thinking about what I can do ahead of time to improve my position for when the D66 does arrive.

The first thing I need to try, is another attempt at sealing up those up-pipes where they are leaking around the donuts. I've got my old turbo in pieces on the work bench downstairs after doing the autopsy on it. I had what I thought was a pretty good idea as I was looking at the various parts.

The hardest part of installing the up-pipes and donut rings is trying to get a wrench on the bolts on the "Y" collector/manifold. I already know that pulling the down pipe out improves access to the passenger side bolts a great deal.
But what if I just assembled the center section and the exhaust housing and mount that on the turbo pedestal. You could then work on the up-pipes and get them installed without the compressor housing being in the way. You would just be using the partial turbo as a installation/alignment jig to facillitate getting the up-pipes installed. Once the up-pipes are in and you get the crap squished outta the donuts rings, just remove the partial turbo assembly and put in the new turbo hooking up the aligned "Y" collector/manifold to the new turbo.

I'm going to try it and see how it goes, weather permitting. It'll be nice if I can get the up-pipe issues resolved before my D66 arrives.

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like a bad idea Kent.

I don't know about you but I am going to using an exhaust pipe expander to get the seal a little tighter. I know my up-pipes were a little worn down.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I used an exhaust pipe expander on mine. I got the sintered metal donuts from NAPA, and expanded the pipe until the donuts were a close fit on the pipe. But as hard as I tried, I just couldn't get the damned things to "squish".

When I talked to Bean just prior to ordering my D66, he told me about the ones he got from Car Quest that he swears by.

I was going to work on the truck today. But after getting the new snowblower mounted on the tractor and getting the 10" out of the driveway :red , I was feeling rather unmotivated.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
FEEDBACK-------

....But what if I just assembled the center section and the exhaust housing and mount that on the turbo pedestal. You could then work on the up-pipes and get them installed without the compressor housing being in the way. You would just be using the partial turbo as a installation/alignment jig to facillitate getting the up-pipes installed. Once the up-pipes are in and you get the crap squished outta the donuts rings, just remove the partial turbo assembly and put in the new turbo hooking up the aligned "Y" collector/manifold to the new turbo.

I'm going to try it and see how it goes, weather permitting. It'll be nice if I can get the up-pipe issues resolved before my D66 arrives.

OK, the D66 should be here tomorrow. I got my up-pipes re-installed using the Car Quest donut seals Bean recommended. I found that using the old turbo's center section and exhaust housing as an "installation/ alignment jig", didn't have as much benefit as I'd thought it would. About the only advantage it had was easier access to the v-band clamp (between the baby's butt & turbo housing). Getting to the bolts to squish the up-pipe donuts is as much of a PITA as it was before.

But the up-pipes and baby's butt are in place and ready for the D66 to get dropped in place.;tu ;tu Tomorrow maybe??:goodluck :goodluck

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
:hail wow! I hope your part came in today. Im down here in Chicago and wearing a couple of layers just to walk a few blocks to visit customers. Weather report says that is only getting colder this week. Hope it all goes in one time quick and starts first time:goodluck

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58