Throttle Steer

Chewman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have read alot about the Ex's rear end and springs causeing the vehicle to steer over bumps or with the throttle but I never experienced it with mine until now.

I was out scouting a new spot to hunt and on the way back was rounding a right corner when I had to veer hard to the right side to avoid a guy using the entire dirt road to pull his 5th wheel camper. I ended up hitting a washout really hard with the right side.

After replacing the front ball joints, the drop bar to the drag link, and a front end alignment, my truck is again running straight. It pulled to the right after hitting the washout and my sterring wheel was at 8 and 2 instead of 9 and 3. Inspection of al lthe other front end parts looked good.

Now when I get on the gas the truck feels like the rear is moving and it veers to the left. When you suddenly get off the gas it goes right.

I have inspected everything underneath and it all looks good. Nothing bent. Nothing moves any differnt than the other side with a prybar. The shocks arent leaking oil and I have no broken springs that I can see. Adding air to the rear bags doesnt change this. Power braking and inspecting the suspension and rear end is showing me only rear end rotation, nothing side to side.

I am out of ideas as to the cause being I never had this before. Is this what the rest of you have experienced? Any ideas as to where to look for a correction to my problem?

Thanks for your help!

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Unfortunately it is Ford's Excursion suspension design that causes it to off track steer.

The only known true fix is upgrading with a set of Radius Rods by Landyot :sweet

One of these days I'll have a set installed on our Excursion :cowboy:

Chewman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
Unfortunately it is Ford's Excursion suspension design that causes it to off track steer.

The only known true fix is upgrading with a set of Radius Rods by Landyot :sweet

One of these days I'll have a set installed on our Excursion :cowboy:

Thanks for the heads up. I was hoping it was the suspension design and me not missing any damage.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
tfalk said:
It almost sounds like you have a hanging brake caliper...

Or maybe a broken center bolt in one of the rear springs. They locate the axle on the spring and it would slide forward and backwars, causing steer.

Dave

DR.billZ

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yet ANOTHER idiot cutting a left-hand turn. I hate when people do that. Why do they think it's NOT OK to drive on the wrong side of the road going straight but somehow think it is when turning to the left?

Chewman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
DaveBen said:
Or maybe a broken center bolt in one of the rear springs. They locate the axle on the spring and it would slide forward and backwars, causing steer.

Dave

I'd hate to dissassemble the wrong sides springs, so If I am throttling up and it wants to turn left, throttle down and it wants to go right, what side would you look at first?

I would look at the right side first because that's what I hit, but if throttling up wouldn't it slide the rearend forward on that sdie and thus want to steer to the right and throttle down steer left? Or am I over thinking this and need to just get under my truck this weekend and tear into it?

Wawuzat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm taking a wild-a$$ guess here because it sounds like one of your FRONT hubs is locked into 4WD (giving you 3WD?). With your X in 2WD mode, see if you can turn the front driveshafts by hand when reaching behind the right-front wheel. They should both turn freely by hand. If one is locked, then maybe one of the vacuum lines got displaced during your off-road excursion (pun intended).

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Chewman said:
I would look at the right side first because that's what I hit, but if throttling up wouldn't it slide the rearend forward on that sdie and thus want to steer to the right and throttle down steer left? Or am I over thinking this and need to just get under my truck this weekend and tear into it?

I would agree with you on this one. Go for the side that sustained the damage.

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14