Time fur tires!! need suggestions.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
well,

It's that time again. I am currently running 315/75/16 Duratracs on the stock 16X7 wheel. My F350 is stock with a front end level. I love the look of these and they have been great tires overall. I do have some crowning wear because of the rim width. But, that was expected when I bought them. They are starting to get a bit loud though. Iv'e gotten about 25K so far and have about 40% tread left on them. Just wanting to try something new and possibly down size. Plus, I can still get a decent amount out of them on craigslist with the current tread. I would love to stick with the 315's. I had some Milestar 285/75/16 on it before and they just didnt fill the wheels wells enough for me. I know the Duratracs run big compared to AT's. There's a guy down the street running 315/75/16 BFG AT/KO's on the stock wheels and his measured 1/2 inch shorter and 1/2 skinnier. So that has me wondering if they would fit without rubbing. But I dont know if that's necessarily the best thing for safety(sidewall strength/handling) to run the 315's again on the 7" wide rim.

I am looking to downsize for the following reasons:
1. Fuel mileage
2. Stability
3. Road noise
4. My current tires rub the leaf springs at full lock
5. wet traction

The three sizes I am considering:
1. 305/70/16 (33.X12.50)

2. 295/75/16 (33.5X11.50) This tire would fill in my wheel well best of the three listed, but it's kind of an oddball size and most of the tires are Load range D, but they do have a 3495 lb rating which is close to load range E, so I'm kinda curious on this one.

3. 285/75/16 (32X11.50)

I am looking at the following tires

General Grabber AT2(great price with great reviews, at least from tirerack)

BFG AT/KO's(little pricier)

Kelly Safari TSR AT's(decent price, just dont know a whole lot about them. great looking too. Got good reviews here: http://www.offroaders.com/reviewbox...perpage=12&sort=4&stype=&limit=&cat=4&ppuser=

Kuhmo MT/KL-71(decent price, heard these were really quiet for a M/T)

Super Swamper M-16's(great looking tire, but pricy)

I'm open to all suggestions guys on size and brands. Please chime in and help me make the right decision!! I'm going crazy surfing the net!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
295/75/16 are stock size. I have them on my truck and I haven't gone bigger. I don't want them rubbing the springs on hard turns. Go with Load Range E.

Dave

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
I could've swore that 265/75/R16 were the stock size. pretty sure that is what on the door sticker.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 35/12.50/16.5 on my 04 but the rime was off set. The 265/70 are like 30" tall. I think that if you went to a 305/75/16 that would fix the rubbing problem.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Yeah I figured 305/70/16 will negate the rubbing issue. I'm just wondering how the 295's would look compared to my 315's. Anybody on here running this size?

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 285/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers on mine and they are one of the best tires Ive ever run. I am looking at the AT/KOs next time as they are the best Ive ever run.

FORDY2

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
In my opinion BFG AT they are a little spendy but they do great in the snow/ice, they have good road manners very responsive and best of all they wear very well as long as they are rotated normally another plus is they are quiet, as long as your not playing in the deep mud ,because they are definatly not a mud tire.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion BFG AT they are a little spendy but they do great in the snow/ice, they have good road manners very responsive and best of all they wear very well as long as they are rotated normally another plus is they are quiet, as long as your not playing in the deep mud ,because they are definatly not a mud tire.

I agree with you. I had about 30 k on my 04 when I sold it and they looked new. Snow and ice was no problem with them too.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
well, I have decided to get wheels and tires. After much thought, I have decided to go with 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATP's. View attachment 12868
View attachment 12869
They have great reviews and I think they look great too. They also come with a 55,000 warranty. Plus, at $160 per tire, it's hard to pass up.

The wheels I decided to go with are the American Outlaw Patrol 16X8 @109$ per wheel. I think they are a nice compromise between chrome and black plus they have a badass pirate on the center cap! They also have a zero offset.

I ordered them through discount tire(great prices and customer service) and they will be giving me a call when everything gets in. Then I'll be on my way to Longview, TX. to have them installed. Really hope they look ok with the 285's vs the 315's I have on it now!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58