To chip or not chip...that is my ????????

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
My brother-in-law and I have basically the same truck... his is a supercab longbox, mine is a crew cab short... both white, both 4wd, both tow, yadda yadda...

he has a programmer on his, and is quite satisfied with it.

I've chosen to leave mine stock, at least for the time being.

Why? He got the programmer on sale, and I haven't had the cash floating free to fiddle with it.

We're both getting about the same fuel economy; his has a bit more jump, but hey...

I think I'd go chip, for just the reason Keano pointed out... sometimes, you're better off without it, and you can flip a switch...

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I'm concerned about the tranny vs. chip issue.

I think you could classify various tunes (based on the amount of power gain) as either "performance improvement" or "hot rod" tunes. Accepting that, since many tuners refer to their "economy tunes" to be in the 70 -80hp range, those would have to considered as in performance improvement class.
Gains of 100hp or more would have to be more in the class of "hot rod" tunes.

I think, without argument, hot rod tunes, are the hardest on driveline and engine components, eating tranny's & cheap connecting rods with regularity.

But performance improving tunes, by design, stay within the limitations of the otherwise stock powertrain. Most tunes in this category will increase hydraulic pressures in the tranny to enhance it's operation & longevity and more so, it's ability to handle increased output of the engine.

So if you were to stay within a 70-80hp limit, you could realize improved performance and mileage without undue concern about the longevity to your engine and tranny. I think without too much disagreement, one of the best tunes in this class would be DP-Tuner's 80hp Econo tune. Back before I went with single shot injectors, I had that tune flashed on my PCM.

You can read about that first spin around the block with a DP-Tuner 80hp Econo-tune HERE.

You can get DP-Tuner's programs on either a chip or a programer.

BigBadMarine

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Laying in a wet southeast Texas rice field.
Okay guys...you all have twisted my arm enough. :D I'll give DP a call here in a few weeks. I appreciate all the responses.

This diesel stuff is crazy nutz:tounge It seems like everytime I start reading something on these forums my wallet becomes lighter. Example: Start a thread about recommended oil and I start to learn about oil bypass systems. So now, it goes from changing my oil to figuring out what oil bypass system I need...Cha-ching Cha-ching.

I purchased this truck with the idea of keeping it for a very long time. I could have bought a new truck, but would not have had any money to do the mods I wanted. So I purchased a used one instead and have sunk probally about 10K+ into it. But...everything is paid for, including the truck itself:sweet AND I'm still not at what a new stock one would have cost me.

My best mod by far, has to be my AMP Research drop down electric running boards. Very few trucks have them here in Texas. So I am constantly getting compliments and double takes when they drop down. They were pricey, but worth it. I installed them myself, so I take pride in them. Funny story...took a hunting trip up to North Dakota last fall. Blew a tire on my 4wheeler trailer in BFE Kansas. Pulled up to a mom and pop tire place for a replacement. A big 'ol Kansas gal was sitting out side when I pulled up...the steps dropped down...and with a heavy Kansas drawl, she says, "Daaaaaang...those there steps are slicker than snot":roflmao I had to chuckle.

This diesel stuff is worse than crack!!!! but I love it!!!!

This is the ONLY other thing that competes with my diesel addicition (but they compliment each other):
GooseHunt.jpg

12-17-20063.jpg

Last edited:

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Nice pics..............you sure went a long way to hunt geese though. Some of the best hunting I have ever seen is right here in Texas down near Katy.

Skys just black with geese........no really!!!

Tbar

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
BBM,

Fine choice going with DPTuner, tell Jody or Diane that the gang from SDD sent ya. Nice pics from N.D. I grew up there and have experienced some of the best migratory bird and upland big game hunting in the upper Midwest.

BigBadMarine

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Nice pics..............you sure went a long way to hunt geese though. Some of the best hunting I have ever seen is right here in Texas down near Katy.

Tbar

LOL...those pictures are from my lease in Brookshire, Texas (1500 acre rice farm)......NOT North Dakota.

Last edited:

BigBadMarine

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score

Tbar

You mean like this:sweet Brookshire, Texas...35 minutes from my front porch (soon to be 25 when I put in my chip).

nov182006BrookshireD510.jpg

Here's North Dakota:

DSCN0072.jpg

DSCN0077.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58