Torn between 2 tires

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM Goodyears or 285/65 BFG AT KO's. Price and mileage are the determining factors. The BFG's are outrageously expensive. With the money I save vs buying OEM tires I can buy a Detroit locker. Which is what I'm probably going to do.

Last edited:

MONSTERPLOW

Cloud Booster 500HP
Reaction score
Firestone has a nice A/T agressive tire out .
Priced decently too.

The Transforce AT delivers all-terrain wet and dry performance that you can count on. Combine polyester and steel light truck construction with a full spiral nylon cap ply. Add UNI-T technology. Finish with continuous shoulder ribs with deep shoulder slots and advanced high modulus tread compound. The result is traction in rain and dry conditions, reduced irregular wear, and chip and tear resistance

desert50eagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM Goodyears or 285/65 BFG AT KO's. Price and mileage are the determining factors. The BFG's are outrageously expensive. With the money I save vs buying OEM tires I can buy a Detroit locker. Which is what I'm probably going to do.

I know that the BFG AT KOs are supposed to be the best tire on the market but....I would think that the goodyears are really good too. You are comparing two good tire companies not BFG vs some unkown name. You list price as your first(prime) consideration so I would assume that youre leaning towards Goodyear already. IMO either tire will do well for you....Good luck shopping and let us know how the locker install goes!:D

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Im not much of a fan of the Goodyear either and in the 20" wheel it seems BFG does want a fair chunk of change. I think the BFG will be good for well in excess of 50K miles but there is still that initial sticker shock to get over.

Tirerack.com
has some smokin deals on the OEM's right now.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
have you looked on tire rack for ratings on the two? the bfgs are nice, but goodyear is good as well and cheaper soooo.....stale mate!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
have you looked on tire rack for ratings on the two? the bfgs are nice, but goodyear is good as well and cheaper soooo.....stale mate!
I've got real world ratings from my own use, the BFG is a superior tire IMHO, period. But, with the price tire rack has right now maybe a guy can swallow some inferiority and live with the Wrangler.

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just having an issue with the sticker shock. They're more than 2x's the price of OEM Wranglers. Like I said... I think I could go further off-road with OEM tires and a detroit locker and financially be the same as just buying BFG's. I took my truck off-road 1x when it was a few months old and stock. I deffinately needed 4x4, but that's expected with such a front heavy truck and sand. but those wranglers did pretty well considering all things.. especially being I didn't air down at all, I had them at placard pressure!!!

I guess the real question is, are BFG's worth more than 2x's the cost of OEM Wranglers!!!!! ????

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
If these are the OEM size 20's you were talking about earlier to help improve fuel economy, you're not going to be enthused about either.

I assume you're talking Wrangler Silent Armor.

Dude, I WORK for Goodyear, and if fuel economy was my first consideration, I'd be going Wrangler SR/A's

I had a set of Silent Armors. Dropped about 2 mpg when I put them on. You ALWAYS do with a new tire, because of the tread flex, brand or type non-specific. I wore 'em out. 55,000 miles. Put a set of SR/A's on it, and got about .25 mpg increase. Kinda proved MPG theory, and supported my decision to go less aggressive tread...

Do what you want. But if you're looking for fuel economy, an all-terrain ain't gonna git it...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58