Torn between 2 tires

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Honestly, what makes it such a "bad" tire???
The AT/S treads dont clean out well so that is strike #1. Since it doesnt clean out (because of the hardness factor Crumm spoke of) it cant bite in, so once youve made a few tire revolutions in even just a skim of mud you are left running on potato skins and will be fish tailing all over the place which makes strike #2, I dont allow a strike #3 in this game, I play and hunt over 100 miles from civilized populations and I cant chance that. Obviously I am talking about dirt roads and relatively low speeds here, I dont get much of a chance to hunt and fish on a paved road here.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Honestly, what makes it such a "bad" tire???

I'll go further than what Mike and Crumm said..
they wore wierd, leading to imbalance problems that guys *****ed about
it walked around the wheel, leading to imbalance problems that guys *****ed about
they were about as round/true as a football, leading to ride problems for guys to ***** about..

I quit selling them around '04, '05... I had had quite enough of them, thankyoverymuch..
if some guy came in looking for them, I put him in Dunlop Rover XT's or RT's

I put the first set of Silent Armors that ever darkened the door on my SuperDuty.. and wrote the VP for Product Development and asked him WTF took them so long?

anyhoo... no plans to make a Silent Armor in a 20" other then the 305/60 probably untill the OE contact expires on the AT/S'

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I'll go further than what Mike and Crumm said..

I quit selling them around '04, '05... I had had quite enough of them, thankyoverymuch..
if some guy came in looking for them, I put him in Dunlop Rover XT's or RT's

Yanno, the AT/S had the same effect on me as Firestone and Ford Explorers had on 10's of thousands of consumers about 10 years ago. It took both Ford and Firestone along time (I think they are both still feeling the effects) to recover from bad consumer experience.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
actually, you measure it in ft/lbs.
Next silly question from the admin then.......... are tires marketed with a rolling resistance value? I guess what I am getting at is how does Joe Consumer (who doesnt happen to be a tire geek) know what to expect from a set of tires? We cant just keep dropping 700-800 a set till we find the one we like and gives us optimal performance.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Next silly question from the admin then.......... are tires marketed with a rolling resistance value? I guess what I am getting at is how does Joe Consumer (who doesnt happen to be a tire geek) know what to expect from a set of tires? We cant just keep dropping 700-800 a set till we find the one we like and gives us optimal performance.

No.
And it kind of blows, because I knew sometime I was going to get asked this question... lo and behold, here we are.

But on the other hand, I can see tire companies not publishing any thing on it, because untill you learn how to interpret it, it's pretty much a useless number.
-edit- And as in the case of UTQG ratings (400 A B) would be left up to the tire manufacturers to determine their own baseline tire (100 B B).
So, like in the case a of a certian manufacturer I can think of, specially built a tire for their baseline ratings that was an absolute roach, and made all their other tires look like they outperformed the Big 3...

Anyway, back to the point, remember General Ameri-Way auto tires with their "RRR" (Reduced Rolling Resistance) designation on the sidewall? Wore like iron.. were as slippery in the rain as two pieces of glass with bacon grease between them..

Rules of thumb...
the more agressive the tread is, the worse fuel economy it'll get.
the deeper the tread is, the worse fuel economy it'll get
the flimsier the sidewalls are, the worse fuel economy it'll get
and the weaker the belt package is, the worse fuel economy it's get.

How do you judge them?
Dump them on a sidewall and jump up & down on them.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
SRA is no longer avail in the OEM size either. What about other brands?

that's just happened this week apparrently..

just off top of my head..
Michelin LTX A2
Nitto Dura Grappler

BFS doesn't make a 20
neither does Cooper..

sorry I can't help more, Bro.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member