Question Torque Converter?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And for rebuild kits? Suncoast or Racer X? :dunno Which one is better? Anyone use one of their kits. Pros Cons? Recommandations. :)

I've used the racer-x kit. All of the pieces I needed were there with some extra parts depending on the variation the drivetrain. All of the parts were name brand pieces. well labeled as to what they were supposed to be. With the assistance of shop manuals it becomes an easy job.

The customer service is top notch. He knows what he's doing and is willing to take the time to help you figure out what needs to be done if something goes wrong (I messed up).

I can't say that I used his converter, I had one that I'd only run for under 3k from Richter69 (Fabulon Motorsports) built by Ultimate Converter Concepts. This is the converter that 95Stroker has in his old truck with far more miles than I have on mine. I haven't been able to make it slip with stage1 injectors and a hot chip.

My decision to go with RacerX was based simply on the ability to get customer service when/if I screwed up. When I spoke with suncoast they were not very helpful and I could have even picked up the parts directly from them directly when I was visiting my dad in Destin. (Ft. Walton is next door)

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which kit did you use from Racer X, BJS?

I didn't use one of his off the shelf kits or I don't think I did. I sent him an email and told him what I had modified, what I do with the truck and what I'm planning on modifying. I also told him I wanted all of the hard part upgrades, he quoted me a price for what I needed. So my price from Racer X ran up slightly more than the prices listed on his webpage. Since yours is a '97 truck you already have some of the internal upgrades. I wanted maximum clutch surface area in any area that could be upgraded.

Tools wise what I bought and used were (beyond normal hand tools):

Clutch spring compressor
Another clutch spring compressor (Get this one from RacerX/Bill)
Front pump puller tools (Bill has a good price on this too)
Bearing installer kit That one won't get big enough to do all of the bushings in the transmission but you get the idea (long attachments are required)
Clutch Remover & Installer You won't get it right without this one (Bill has a good price on this one)

In addition to the tools above which I consider somewhat abnormal tools you'll need a good set of snap ring and slip ring pliers, torque wrench (inch pound), torx bits. I found for the valve body & seals a set of mechanics picks are invaluable like This set from Home depot

You'll want to pickup a plastic dishpan so you can soak the frictions before installation (If you don't you'll toast the transmission very quickly)

Based on what you can get "built" transmissions off the shelf for I have roughly estimated that there is about a $1000 - $1500 markup for labor.

Hopefully that answers the question and doesn't muddy the waters too much.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14