towing capacities

DavidJ

DavidJ
Reaction score
And what is the difference (other than the stated 5K lbs)between "displacement weight and pulling weight" The tag on my hitch states displacement is 10K and pulling 5K. On Tongue weight under displacement is states 1000 and pulling tongue is 500. ??? Now after adding the Airlift bags does this mean I can tow up to the larger numbers?

HCAbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My hitch says the same thing....But my truck is "rated" at 14K. (Ive got 4:30's) Now, granted that is GTW, so with the wimpy class III hitch that Ford decided to put on the Ex, I guess I am stuck with that, but I figure I can put a Class IV on it and be good for more..but anything I am gonna tow is gonna be way less than 10K. A HD Fat Boy and Honda VTX dont even come close. I drive a gasser and I wouldnt put more than about 8K behind it with stock Ex springs.

Johnswiftm

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The 5000/500 weight is just off the ball. The other weight is with weight distribution set up with trunion or round bars.

5-Ryerson

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The 2004 towing guide lists 12.5K as the max towing capacity.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
5-Ryerson said:
The 2004 towing guide lists 12.5K as the max towing capacity.

Is this from the guide in the owners manual? If not, where did it come from? I've got an 03, so perhaps there is a difference between model years, but I believe the truck stayed pretty much the same. My hitch has a data plate that says 12.5k, but my book says 11.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58