Towing with a power adder

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called a SCT dealer and asked them what tune they had for my use, which is to pull a 5th wheel up long steep grades and maintain 55 to 60 mph.
They told me that they did not have a tune for that and that they did not recommend doing it.
That would be the only reason for me to buy a power adder.
Has anyone purchased a power adder to do what I want to do? If you have, what EGT's do you pull when going up a steep grade?

oi8228oi

another 99
Reaction score
OB NJ, land of traffic, stop lights, stop signs, a
cant speak for the 6.0s as much but almost any chip, or programmer set on the lower setting (approx 50 hp and about 100 tq) is for towing and should help with egt's, fuel economy and power for grades. i would definertly recomend getting some gauges first! and personally i would put a 4 in exhaust (probably help with egts more then a chip)

hope this helps

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(I would definitely recomend getting some gauges first! and personally i would put a 4 in exhaust (probably help with egts more then a chip))

I am with 0i82280i on the gages and 4 in exhaust 100% I put them on my truck about a mo ago and couldn't believe what I was seeing when pulling the Fifth Wheel. The temps do get up there.

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
I run the SCMT... at the 110 setting, Pull a 37' 5er, together I am any where between 20K... and have been as much as 23.5K When Pushing the throttel to 100% I can easily hit 1300 egt's and 25 lbs of boost... But Common sense should tell you to back off or drop a gear... on extended long hills I try not to exceed 1250, for any length of time, and have accidently hit 1400 a time or two... but I don't beleeve I stayed there for more than 5-10 seconds... So perhaps to help answer your ??... Yes you can tow with the Mods... however you HAVE TO HAVE GAUGES other wise you may find yourself at the dealer with a new Boat anchor. also under the FWIW catagorie.. I have yet to hit a Freeway hill that I could not maintain 60 mph + .

Shawnrans

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
As stated before, get air before you introduce fuel!! Exhaust, intake, guages, tuner in that order. Call Jody at DP Tuner if you go with an SCT. He has many options and can custom build a tow tune for you. You won't be sorry. Shawn

Black_Mamba

I'm a Window Licker!!
Reaction score
I pulled 13,000 lbs a couple of weeks back with a tow/econo tune I had special made for me for my trans. The higest I reached at 70 mph was about 1100 F. But half way up the grade it started dropping off back to around 720 F but I have intake and exhaust.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Black_Mamba said:
I pulled 13,000 lbs a couple of weeks back with a tow/econo tune I had special made for me for my trans. The higest I reached at 70 mph was about 1100 F. But half way up the grade it started dropping off back to around 720 F but I have intake and exhaust.

I would have thought your egt's would have continued to rise as you climbed the grade.

Did you down shift or slow down to achieve lower egt's???

Tbar

Black_Mamba

I'm a Window Licker!!
Reaction score
I was in the throttle pretty good till about half way then I let off but still maintained 70 mph. This tune is a trial tune to see how it would react to the Suncoast Trans. and TC and some other things we have been tweaking with on the motor. It locks the TC in 2nd and stays all the way into O/D. I don't know how much hp and tq was added. They would never tell me. Also remember I have the freak truck that wants to do some wierd things all the time. It will spin the tires from a take-off for sure loaded. This could be why my first trans broke maybe.:eek: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

CBSuperDuty

Got Looney???
Reaction score
Don't know for sure but I am wondering if you didn't talk to me...

The man that rights the tunes is very familiar with 6.0's. It is his living. Does he have a tow file??? Yes we do but he only recommends it for under 8K loads. He is not worried so much about the EGT's but the CP's and water temps. These 6.0's run on the hot side as it is and when you put a tune to them they run hotter.

He just doesn't want to take someones money knowing that the product is going to lead to an even shorter life span. I know that sounds ironic but he feels you are doing more harm much faster when towing the heavy loads tuned. Now that all said if your trailer isn't over 8K then get back with us and we will set you up.

Hope that clears the air. Trust me it is not that we don't want your money.:D

Black_Mamba

I'm a Window Licker!!
Reaction score
Yeah don't push the limits of the tunes like I do.:eek: :D DJ writes some awesome tunes. The Looney tune is what is really awesome. If you like smoke and lots of power you'll really like it. Gets tailgaters off of me real quick.:roflmao

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58