Towing with the 6.7L

gambler

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Greetings.

I've had a number of SDs with Diesels, with my latest truck having a 6.0L diesel. I have been very disappointed with this engine from a performance perspective (no reliabilitiy issues whatsoever), my 7.3s were much stronger. I am upgrading trucks very soon and I'm either getting a used D-max or a new PS. I'm consdiering the D-Max because it performs so much stronger than my 6.0 PS. I regretted buying my 6.0L about a week after I had it because I thought it was weak, so I'm hesitant to jump into something new and then regret my purchase again.

Has anyone towed the 6.7 next to/with a late model D-max?

Thanks for the feedback.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have not driven a new truck. But Curious, what do you mean that your 6.0 is weak? Can you describe what you are experiencing? I have a 6.0 and would not describe it as weak.....

gambler

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I think the 6.0 is weak on power. Mine is a 2006 model and I'm disaapointed with the way it pulls. Granted, my two previous trucks had the 7.3L with manual transmissions, but they were much, much stronger when towing. The 6.0 will product decent power, but the engine has to produce pretty high rpms to generate the power, it's just not a torque producer. I have 3.73 differential. On the other hand, the D-maxs I have driven pull so much stronger than my 6.0. I prefer ford to GM trucks, but the difference in power between my 6.0 and the D-max is substantial.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I've heard good things on the new 6.7. Agreed that the first yr models sometimes have issues that need adressed. You also got to think about what that engine packaged is wrapped in. Ford makes a wayy better truck in the way of a frame and cab. Fords have straight axles which are the toughest around. Dmax's are grocery getter independant fronts. Yea they drive nice but thats about it. A buddy of ours has a dmax. Yea its fast since its got lots of bolt ons but hes replaced the front end twice and one rear end. In my eyes you would be down grading in trucks. I'd say you got some issue with your 6.0. 6.0's, when the main probs are fixed which are usually egr and head studs, are better motors that will out pull a duracrap. It would be cheaper to fix your 6.0 than get a new truck. Lots of guys on here with 6.0's that love them.

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had great luck with my 6.0 as far as power is concerned. I did have to do injectors at about 120k, a tranny at 135k and the EGR at 145k. That was a bit pricey, but it pulls like a mule, and I beat it. I really think that the 6.0 is an engine that likes to be worked hard. Far be it from me to disappoint.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had great luck with my 6.0 as far as power is concerned. I did have to do injectors at about 120k, a tranny at 135k and the EGR at 145k. That was a bit pricey, but it pulls like a mule, and I beat it. I really think that the 6.0 is an engine that likes to be worked hard. Far be it from me to disappoint.

***XX2:dunno
Doug

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you got that "one" truck. I moved from a 97 7.3 to an 06 6.0, and the power comparison is laughable. The 6.0 will out pull, out run and drive circles around the 7.3. The last word I would use to describe my 6.0 is weak!

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I agree majek5. The power band has shifted a little more to the high end of the revs, due to the 4 valves per cylinder, so yes it does not have the grunt off idle. But the power is there.

Dave

NORFLA444

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Diesel Power magazine just did a feature on this very question; they got two new duallies from Ford and Chevy and towed 18,000 pounds up an 11,000 foot pass in Colorado. Not only did the Chevy pull the load up hill much faster, it's turbo brake feature and transmission worked much better at keeping downhill speeds in check. The driver used to be the head towing guru at Ford, and he was amazed at how much better the Chevy towed.

I like both, but money would probably go for a new Ram. The only weak spot is the transmission, but a lot of companies have the upgrades. Cummins is the best light truck engine (without question), and the trucks are at least $7,000 cheaper than the other two. I've had HD rams (Hemi and 5.9 Cummins) and loved the way they towed, though the transmissions were crap from day one.

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I heard about that comparison. Im not POSITIVE but I thought the chevy was already broken in and the ford was brand spankin new. Again Im not POSITVE about that. It does seem a little odd that there would be that much of a difference in performance. A little fishy to me. Maybe a dyno test right before they head out for the test would have been nice.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58