Trailer Tire Questions

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While cleaning my 5er this weekend, I noticed that I've got a tire that's got a bubble on it. So -- I'm in the market for some new tires for this thing. It's empty weight is about 6800 lbs, maybe up to 8500 or so loaded. Dual axle.

My questions:

1. How many of you run LT or Passenger tires instead of "ST" tires?
2. If you do, would there be any times you WOULDN'T do that?
3. What do you guys think of the 65mph limit on the ST tires?
4. Brands to stay away from?

I can't imagine a tire that's only rated for 65 being any better than the tires I put on my truck.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
1. In the past I have and would again. I think the "ST" tires stand up to sitting better but the LT tires seem to last longer on the road. I use to run LT tires on my stock trailer and they worked great.

2. No

3. I never knew there was a 65mph speed rating on them. I have trailer tires on both my boat and Wells Cargo and they seem to run fine at 66 mph ;)

4. I have heard bad things about goodyear marathon trailer tires but I have a original set on my 1994 Wells Cargo trailer that must have around 15-20k on them and they look just fine. I have only had one flat and this is with five trips on the Alcan. Where I have heard the bad things is on newer enclosed snow machine trailers. The newer tires might be bad as mine are from back in 1994.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted your question on another forum, I'll let you know if I get any responses.
The other forum is just for trailers and 5th wheels.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
we run always LT tires
heavier build and hold up better and the cost differnece usually lets you get a nice michellin for the price of st tires...
the biggest issue is SITTING
ensure they are aired up to max, rubber is nt going to sit in water, if you use a board for em to rest on, use one with enough extra to allow 2" all the way around, just in case they go flat inbetween times you check on em

and put on a good heavy coat of tire wax, amorall or any other good tire protectant, then cover em with some tire covers with a soft backing and a good outside vinyl to minimize the suns exposure and drying effects

also put protectant on the inner sides to

the sun will bake away the built in protectants,
shop around at the tire websites and find the size that meets your max trailer load per axle. I.E we have a pair of 6k axles, so each tire must carry at least 3k pounds, our tires are rated at 3080 so its right on the money

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a response from the other forum, from a guy named Mike.

I read somewhere that it isn't a good idea to put regular vehicle tires on a trailer due to the side loads you put on them, like when backing into a spot and you have to turn tightly (look how the tires flex) and that those tires are not designed for that. That isn't me talking from experience, that's just what I have read. It probably wouldn't hurt to do an Internet search.

-Mike-

BTW, If you are going to store a trailer out in the elements for awhile, I would purchase some old tires and wheels that will hold air and put them on the trailer. Keep the good tires and wheels inside a shed or garage. Then when you are getting ready to travel, change tires. That will keep them from flat spotting also.

Yellowsub1962

supernewbie
Reaction score
they make trailer tires for a reason ;) LT tires are not designed for the long term side loading a "swaying" trailer generates going down the road. they will run hotter than they are designed to, and prematurely fail. In a picnh or as a spare, maybe - but I will never run a car or truck tire on a trailer of anysort.

Instead of buying another set of tires for storage, just put hte trailer up on jackstands ;)

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am curious as to what brand and how old is the tire that has the belt seperation. My trailer came with Carlisles. After 1 year and about 7000 miles I found a goose egg on one of them. The Carlisles come with a 2 year warranty. I called them up and they sent me a brand new one no questions. Took another trip to Pigeon Forge and on the way back I noticed another one of the tires had a goose egg forming (belt serperation). Long story short, I called and complained to Carlisle about this and they sent me 4 more brand new tires! :thumbs According to the other forum site I visit about trailers, there had been a rash of problems with these tires and since then have fixed the issue. I have had no other problems with them.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check on my set at home to see if I can find the manufacture date for the bad ones. They are 15" Goodyear Marathon's. It wouldn't surprise me if they are indeed original, trailer is a 2001/2.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will not hurt to call Goodyear. 7 years old is getting old for RV tires.

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will not hurt to call Goodyear. 7 years old is getting old for RV tires.

I agree, 7 years is old for the severe duty these tires undergo. Much more than the tow vehicled does. A lot of twisting on tight turns and bouncing, UV and sitting for extended periods of time really wipes them out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58