Trailer Wiring for Towing Doubles

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Yel, Right.

I have never seen a need for two controllers, I don't understand where your coming from on that one.
I know a lot of people pulling fifthwheel's and pulling a M/C trailer or boat behind it and all only run one controller.
Never heard or seen any of them lock up the tires on the back trailer.
Doug

I think all we're saying is that you certainly CAN run with one controller (provided it's rated for enough axles), but to get optimum performance/ handling/ safety, and if you were doing it OFTEN I would go with 2.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would bet the MC trailer has no brakes. I have seen this (dual controllers) on occasion. Two braking systems works best with two controllers due to the difference in the braking systems and the trailer weight.

Dave :coffee

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WD40 - Just my opinion, but: Relatively light trailer...following a heavy goose-neck?...both with electric brakes off 1 controller...if you adjust the controller for the GN, then the 2nd trailer (if a lot lighter) may or may not have much stopping effectiveness but will likely leave rubber on the road...if you adjust the controller for the 2nd trailer, the GN won't do much braking for you because the 2nd trailer will likely lock up first and you'll leave tire tracks (again) and then (maybe) get the GN axle to engage. Lightest axle locks first is my experience? Best case scenario with one controller is the 2nd (lighter) trailer doesn't contribute much to breaking...in this example. So you wear out tires...and maybe don't stop effectively depending on how you've adjusted the controller.

So the ones you have seen that don't lock up? Maybe they weren't hooked up? Or the drivers were real soft on the pedal..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64